Author Topic: John Foley & Mary quinn  (Read 1358 times)

Offline dottie43

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Foley & Mary quinn
« on: Sunday 21 November 21 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi guys
I'm researching these folks for a friend.
John & Mary had a son Thomas born in 1898, I connot find any birth records for Thomas, he married in Scotland and died in Scotland, it says on his marriage cert that he was presently on war duty with the army lab corps,
I would be grateful for any help on this
Thank you in advance
Dottie

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Foley & Mary quinn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 November 21 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Dottie -- how do you know Thomas was born in 1898 please? Is it an estimate from his age at marriage or death?

Also - what was his father's occupation on the marriage certificate please?
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline dottie43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 November 21 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Penines
Thank you for the quick reply
I did get the date of birth from his marriage cert in 1918 he was 20, then his death in 1959 he was 61.
His father John was a labourer,
John & Mary were both deceased on the marriage cert
Thanks again
Dottie

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 November 21 15:53 GMT (UK) »

... John & Mary had a son Thomas born in 1898, I connot find any birth records for Thomas, he married in Scotland and died in Scotland ...

I note this is posted under Ireland - why do you think he was born in Ireland?

Offline dottie43

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 November 21 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi gaffy
Thanks for the reply,
According to my friend it came down the family that they were Irish.
I have checked Scotland's people just in case but I have not found any sign of them before he married in 1918
Thanks again
Dottie

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 November 21 20:45 GMT (UK) »
There is much research you are able to do yourself to possibly find this family if they came from Ireland.
 You could look on these sites
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/

Before doing this though it would be a good idea to ask your friend to list the names of any children of Thomas. Often the Irish used a traditional naming pattern.  I would expect that if he had children they may have Mary, John or Thomas as well as names from the family of his wife.

I would check the age of majority to contract a marriage at the time of the marriage. 

I would be slightly wary of believing that a 20 year old had both parents deceased at the time of marriage.  I have seen that in cases where there would be  query about majority ie whether the person was able to contract a marriage or needed the permission of parents first, that the parents are shown as deceased, thus forestalling the possibility of having to get permission.  All the while the parents are actually still alive in Ireland. 

Have you got details of the witnesses to the marriage please?

Have you or your friend tracked the births/marriages/deaths of all the children of Thomas Foley? 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 November 21 21:02 GMT (UK) »
There are several records for a thomas with parents John & Mary. This may be a possibility. As suggested earlier you need to get a bit more information from the person who is seeking the information.  If say there are cousins or children with the names Timothy or James etc. 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Kerry/Caragh/Lauhir/1415752/

In the 1911 census the same Thomas has jumped 3 years in age.  Many did not know how old they were or may have put their ages up. 

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kerry/Caragh/Lauhir/288288/

Done further checking but don't this this is your man as while he has parents John and Mary his mother's maiden surname is Moriarty. 

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1898/02078/1793280.pdf

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 November 21 12:11 GMT (UK) »
At the moment I am struggling to find a marriage of a John Foley to a Mary Quinn anywhere - Ireland, Scotland or England/Wales.

I am confessing to this, as usually when I say things like that, another eagle eyed Rootschatter finds the record I can't find (and I feel a plonker!) Hopefully that will happen again!!
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 November 21 08:23 GMT (UK) »
Pennines totally agree. The marriage is elusive unless per chance Mary married again after John Foley died(if he died first that is). The only marriage I could locate was for John with Bridget Quinn. On another note, in 1911 census there is a Mary Foley in Hamilton, Lanark with her 3 sons John, Charles & Thomas (who is correct age),her mother a Mrs McGhie lives with them. She is a widow and herself and mom born Ireland, sons Glasgow. In 1911 there is a John Foley living with sons John & Thomas in Gorbals, Lanark. 2 possibilities. Would need more to confirm or deny if either could be person of interest.