Author Topic: William Carey and Elizabeth Elsey  (Read 570 times)

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Carey and Elizabeth Elsey
« on: Sunday 21 November 21 14:02 GMT (UK) »
William Carey (sometimes CARY) married Elizabeth Elsey on the 25 July 1775 at St Margaret's Church, Sibsey. All of their children were born in Sibsey which might suggest that William and Elizabeth were from Sibsey (or surrounding area) themselves.

William died in March 1822 and was buried in St Margaret's churchyard, his burial entry states that he was 84 years of age which suggests a birth year of 1738.

Elizabeth died in July 1821 and was buried in St Margaret's churchyard, her burial entry states that she was 68 years of age which suggests a birth year of 1753.

Despite having possible birth years for both, I have failed to find their baptisms. My searches took in a 5 year window either side of their suggested birth years.

Any assistance would be gratefully accepted.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: William Carey and Elizabeth Elsey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 November 21 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with baptisms yet, however there is this death notice for William:

"Last week, at Sibsey, Mr. W. Carey, at the advanced age of 84; formerly one of the principal shepherds in the West Fen."

Friday,  Mar. 22, 1822
Publication: Stamford Mercury

Also for Elizabeth:

"On Friday last, at Sibsey, after a long and painful illness, Mrs. Carey, aged 68, a very worthy, industrious, respectable woman."

Friday,  July 20, 1821
Publication: Stamford Mercury

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 November 21 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Also to add that FreeReg have their marriage :

both of Sibsey, bachelor and spinster. Witnesses: Jonathan THOMSON and Nell ?, by banns.

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 November 21 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you maddys52 for the newspaper links. I already had the marriage banns entry from St Margaret's and like the transcriber on FreeReg, I couldn't decipher the name of the second witness.

I'm still hoping that someone can find their baptisms so that I can go back another generation.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 November 21 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth ELSEY to William CAREY Marriage   25 Jul 1775 Lincolnshire   Sibsey : St Margaret :

Parish Register. Both noted single and of the parish, Witnesses Jonathan THOMPSON & Nell?

Sibsey : St Margaret : Parish Register – Children of William & Elizabeth

Sarah 1776, Richard 1781, William 1786, Thomas 1788, Elizabeth 1791,
Samuel 1792, Edward 1798.

Other than the burials there are no other Carey records on freereg in the County.

This is the only other Elsey freereg record there, parents Joshua Elsey & Elizabeth.

So was this a relative of Elizabeth Carey or former husband?

Frances ELSEY   Baptism   10 Mar 1772   Lincolnshire Sibsey : St Margaret : Parish Register

There are no Elsey baptisms on freereg in the County but based on naming pattern of their children below might be worth consideration

Elizabeth ELLIS   Baptism 04 Oct 1753   Lincolnshire   Westborough : All Saints : Parish Register

Parents Thomas & Eliz. – This would be my best guess. (Four others possible in the County)

Nothing in the County for William below might be worth consideration, best I could find.

William CARY   Baptism   Dec 1736   Norfolk   Norwich : St Margaret : Parish Register

Parents Richard & Elizabeth.

Colin
PS: I have research a Carey family before I came up with quite an array of variations from Carey to Curry and many in between.
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 22 November 21 12:30 GMT (UK) »
There was an Elizabeth Elsey baptised on 24 Oct 1756 in Langton by Horncastle, which is not too far away, daughter of William and Mary.

Also an Ann in Freiston in 1746, daughter of William and Mercy (Mary?)

David

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 22 November 21 15:39 GMT (UK) »
There was an Elizabeth Elsey baptised on 24 Oct 1756 in Langton by Horncastle, which is not too far away, daughter of William and Mary.

Also an Ann in Freiston in 1746, daughter of William and Mercy (Mary?)

David

Thank you your reply - I spotted this earlier today, Langton by Horncastle is about 18 miles from Sibsey, as you say, not too far away. If she is the lady I'm looking for, there is about 3 years difference in her declared age at death -- not the first time that I have come across age differences in church records. I will have a look at the Ann that was baptised in Freiston, only 6 miles between Freiston and Sibsey.

Allan