Author Topic: Potential missing twin  (Read 418 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Potential missing twin
« Reply #9 on: Monday 22 November 21 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I know in the very early years of civil reg, often a time was given, even on births where there was no known twins. I have 2 respective ancestors, born 1842 and 1839 in rural Essex (Rochford registration district) where the time is given and I have no evidence of a multiple birth. I thought giving times of birth for single births had died off a bit by 1854 though, 17 years into the advent registration.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 November 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Usually with twins it will state that & give time of birth.
This doesn't say either, it gives a time of 3h. 35 mins. then what looks like A at 6.
Definitely A.M. in typical registrar script of the period.  If one twin had been stillborn there would have been little reason to note a time, as the important purpose was to determine primogeniture.  Some registrars chose to record times for single births.

One of my g-g-grandfathers registered the birth of a pair of twins the day after they were born in 1842; both had names.  The boy twin's death a few days later was also quickly registered, but this time without a name, presumably because he had not been christened.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline JayG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 November 21 17:00 GMT (UK) »
I've got several birth certs from the early days of civil registration that have the time of birth but none have been confirmed as a multiple birth. I also have several death certs with the time of death on!

I have 2 instances of twins in my tree that don't have the time of birth on the certs as they were registered separately on different days.  One set of twins appear in different quarters of the birth index too!

Jay