Author Topic: Will of Mauger Scatchard - 1604  (Read 555 times)

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Will of Mauger Scatchard - 1604
« on: Monday 22 November 21 23:28 GMT (UK) »
Back again  ;D ;D

This time I'm looking for help with the will of Mauger Scatchard, 1604, although I'm not sure that's the name actually given in the margin of the attached clip. The clip is not too clear, but is the best I have to work with.

I have so far:

In the name of god Amen the eighte and twentie daie of January in the firste yeare of
The reigne of o{u}r Soveraignie Lord James by the grace of god Kinge of England ffrance
And Ireland defender of the faithe etc. And of Scotland the [??] and [??] And in
the yeare of o{u}r lord god one thousand sixe hundrede and three I Mauger Scatchard of
Powle in the County of Yorke  [? … ?] sicke in body but of good and p{e}rfecte remem=
brance I praise the lord for it doe ordayne and make this my testam{en}^t contayninge
herein my laste Will of all my goodes and Chattells bothe moveable and unmoveable
in manner and forme following ffirst and primary I give her{e}toe Lxx and be=
queste my soul unto Almighty god my creator  also to Jesus Christ my rede{e}mer
[??] [??] preciouse blood shedding uppon the Crosse I am in full hope of my assurance
of everlasting [??] [??] all my sinnes to be forgiven me and this is my full be=
hest And my body to be buried from wheare it [??] to [??] it [?all] beste like{s} my
freinde [??] and bequest unto my sister Mary Smythe wife of William Smythe of

Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Mauger Scatchard - 1604
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 03:10 GMT (UK) »
Here are the main corrections to the text:

...Scotland the seaven and thirtie...

...of yorke yeom(an) beinge sicke...

...ffirste and principallie I give yeilde upp and be=
queath.....................Creator and to Jesus Christe my redemer
by whose pretious blood...

...everlastinge lief And all...........this is my full be=
lief.......................from whence it came where it shall beste like my
freind(es) It(e)m I give and bequeath unto...

At this time like would be normally read as please.

More to follow.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 03:17 GMT (UK) »
Do you already have a sense of the testator's residence?

I read the place as Rowle, which could easily mean Rowley, near Beverley and Hull.  Does that fit?

Regarding the margin, the first word is Test(amentu)m, not a forename.

The forename in the text could be Mauger but it could also be Marger.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 03:51 GMT (UK) »
I read the place as Rowle, which could easily mean Rowley, near Beverley and Hull.  Does that fit?

I now see there is a place called Pool-in-Wharfedale, close to Otley.  So Powle it is.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, horselydown, for your help. The wills I am working on are all for Scatchards (or variations thereon)  who lived in or around the parishes of Otley and Adel. The location referred to on this latest as Powle is actually Poole; the spelling is similar to other documents I have seen. Poole lies close to Arthington where several Scatchards lived.

At this point I have a number of fragmented Scatchard families that I am trying to link, but occaionally a spanner is thrown into the works as in the last will, that of Thomas Scatchard, where mention is made of his niece Ursula Scatchard. She is previously unknown to me, but she may be Ursalie, baptised in Calverley, the daughter of Nicholas Scatherd, and who might in turn lead to links with the Scatcherds of Batley - the combination of Ursalie/Ursula and Scatcherd being extremely uncommon. The issue here is the exact meaning of "neece" in the will. Does it actually refer to, in this case, a brother's daughter, which would make Nicholas Thomas' brother, or is it a simple term for a female relative. If it is the former, it is proof of the relationship between the Scatchards of Adel and Otley to the north of Leeds being related to those of Morley and Batley, to the south. If the latter, then there is further research needed to try and identify the actual relationship.

The reason behind my interest in this family is to try and prove a so far unsubstantiated link to the Scatchard family of Bishop Monkton. I have almost exhausted my current supply of documents: I have only two or possibly three more wills after this one, plus a number of other court documents that I know I will need help to decipher. Nevertheless, the proof I seek remains elusive. Proving the connection to the Scatchards of Adel and Otley would push my Yorkshire ancestry back at least three generations, and possibly back to the late 1400s if the families that I am aware of currently can be linked. So far, I can identify a general migration of the family towards Wakefield and the east, but the move towards Ripon and the north is still to be proved. As this is pre-industrial revolution, the reasons for migration are not so simple. For those who acquire a profession, e.g. surgeon or attorney, it might be expected that they will end up away from their birthplace in order to practice that profession. For others with more humble occupations, tracing the migratory path is much more difficult.
Anderson - Leics., Yorks.; Attwood - Worcs., Staffs.,  Salop; Baylis - Worcs.; Beach/Bache - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Bills - Devon, Worcs.<br />Dovey - Worcs., Staff., Salop; Gill - Worcs.; Hampton - Worcs., Staffs.; Hancox/Hancocks - Worcs., Staffs.<br />Hill - Worcs., Staffs., Salop; Sherwood - Worcs., Staffs.; Stonyer - Worcs., Staff., Salop, Essex<br />Woodall - Worcs., Staffs.; Potter - Essex.

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Next bit od Mauger's will ...

I have:

Weston three pounde sixe shilling eight pence of lawful English money Iem I give
and bequeath unto my sister Margaret Stanffielde wife of John Stanffielde of [?forthe]
the sume of ffive pounde of Currente money of England Item I give and bequeathe to my
sister Bridgitt Scatchyard of Powle aforesaid the sume of five pounds thirteen shillings
fower pence of lawful money of England Item I give and bequeathe to Alice Stansfeild
my god daughter the sume of five shillings to be [e?]mployed to the use and benefit of the
[? … ?] by the said John Stansfeilde for [ffat?] till she be of lawfull yeares & able
to be the [??] to her owne benefit and comodities Item I give and bequeathe unto
Margaret Garrison of [??] the sume of thirty shilling of lawfull English money
hopeinge she will accepte of it as a remembrance of my good will Item I give to my
Aunte Elizabeth [??] of [Denton?] fower shillings in money Item I give unto Margarett
[?eak?] wief of John [?eak?] of [Denton?] aforesaid fyve shillings [??] money Item I give to
Mawger [??] in money [??] my god [??] [??] Item I give to [??] Mawson late of
[??] fyve shilling in money or as many [much?] of my apparel as may be worth the

Denton is I think the right place name.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Mainly to answer the queries, without worrying about minor spelling variations:

... my sister Margarett Stansfeilde wife of John Stansfeilde of Horsforthe ...

... Bridgitt Scatchard of Powle aforesaid the some of sixe pound(es) thirtene shilling(es) ...

... fyve shilling(es) to be ymployed to the use and benefitt of the
said Alice by the said John Stansfeild her father till she be of lawfull yeares & able
to use the same to her owne benefitt ...

... Margarett Harrison of Ryther ...

... Aunte Elizabeth Mawson of Denton tenne shilling(es) ...

... Margarett
Theaker wief of John Theaker of Denton aforesaid fyve shilling(es) in money ...

... Mawger Theaker in money vjs [= 6 shillings] my god sonne ...

... Thomas Mawson late of
Norwitche [= Norwich?] ...

... as muche of my apparell ...

Offline mezentia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Last part ...

same [?soever] [?... ?] to receive and make Demande thereof Item I give unto
Margaret [??] of Bramhoppe [ xij??]money Item I give unto the nedefull poore
people of Powle aforesaid three shilling in money to be bestowed att the discretion of
my executor I [??] unto William [Easton?] of Otley [ij?] in money for his parish And
lastly I doe make Marmaduke Scatchyard of Powle aforesaid and Margaret his wief
[??] my ffather and Mother my executors of this my last will and testam{en}|^t they doinge
and [??] p{er}forming the same in everye respect as it is above ment{i}oned [??]
beinge Wittnesses George Robinson [Witt?] [??] Et bineficio [??]die
[? … ?]

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 November 21 00:45 GMT (UK) »
same whensoever he shall come to receive and make Demande…
Margarett Sowden of Bramhoppe xij d in money……

my executor Itme I give unto William Wharton of Otley ij s in money

…………….Margarett his wife
Viz my ffather and Mother………
and truelie p(er)forminge …………above mentioned These
beinge Wittnesses George Robinson Will(ia)m Wharton

Viz = namely
Hopefully somebody will be along to do the Latin at the end.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs