Author Topic: Title of 'MASTER'  (Read 656 times)

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Title of 'MASTER'
« on: Tuesday 23 November 21 11:56 GMT (UK) »
    A diary written by a dairyman in 1851, who leased land on a quarterly basis, refers frequently to the 'Master'. However he also refers to the land owner by name. He does this too with a man who seems to have been significant to him and was perhaps a middle man between the land owner & the diarist. These two seem to be the only candidates for 'Master' and the diary may have used the term for one of them sometimes loosely and an actual name on other occasions.
    I am not sure if I have said enough for anyone to be able to voice an opinion, but would be grateful for anything. I would like to be able to identify the 'Master'.
    Thanks, Toby.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Title of 'MASTER'
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 13:45 GMT (UK) »
The land owner could have been very remote from the diarist (particularly if it was a large estate), the person he referred to as his Master might be a land agent or someone who leased a farm from the overall land owner. Are you able to name the land owner or the diarist?
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 15:27 GMT (UK) »
John Foss wrote the diary (Dorset Record Office D-3128/1) and the landowner was banker Robert Williams Esq. His estate was in Little Bredy and he had land in Kingson Russell too. The dairy straddled those 2 parishes. The other man was Mr. Symes but it is not thought that he was either Richard Symes or John Symes both of whom appear in the diary. Thanks for getting a start. T

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 15:35 GMT (UK) »
There is a Thomas Symes farmer of 1400 acres in the census a few pages after John Foss and a few before the Williams family of Bridehead House. He could be the one, collecting rent for the dairy and making comments / comparison on the state of the cattle. A  dairyman called Churchill appears in the 1851 census quite near Thomas Symes.
Interesting that John Foss went to see the Crystal Palace, shame he was unwell and didn't give a description.
No mention of filling in "that d*** form from the nosey government" on 30th March ;D
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Mr Williams has a groom called Richard Sims, maybe that's where the confusion came from

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 15:57 GMT (UK) »
     I assume LissieL that you have also been reading that excellent Dorset blog since you are aware of a trip to London.
    Recently I read the whole diary and am trying to get a bit more out of it.  There are also 2 more Symes in the 1851 census for the above mentioned 2 parishes inc. Long Bredy. William Symes was also a dairyman but Joseph Symes was a farmer. I think if one had been acting for Robert Williams, it would probably have been a farmer reinforced by  the Master appearing to have considerable knowledge of farm animals. I shall continue to delve into the diary for something that I may have missed.
  I don't feel Richard Sims is part of the equation.
  Thank for your continuing help. T.