Author Topic: Family tree templates  (Read 792 times)

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Family tree templates
« on: Tuesday 23 November 21 23:41 GMT (UK) »
I have my family tree information in various documents and I initially started creating a family tree using excel by inserting boxes each time I found a family member. The trouble is, it is becoming unwieldy as the lines cross over for intermarriages and sometimes there are too many children to fit in the space and not only that, because of the amount of information, it can struggle to load.

Could anyone recommend a software package that is up to the job? I would like to be able to add supplementary information on some of the ancestors in a note attached to their record. Thank you for any recommendations!
Champion, Offen, Sanders, Mercer, Edwards, Baker, Kemp, King, Bell - Kent
Richards, Dening, Zealley/Zeally - Dorset
Hills, Cottington, Osborn/e - Sussex
Faithfull - Hampshire

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Family tree templates
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 November 21 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Why not download one [or more] of the free programs that are available online and see if it meets your needs.  I use the [now very antiquated] PAF program.  It's free and it does everything I need.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=download+free+family+tree+software
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 00:07 GMT (UK) »
I use Rootsmagic 8. It is currently on offer but you can download and try out for free, although the free versions of software have some functions disabled.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01r2j/

RM also have tutorial videos which you can watch

Jenny

Ps I started by using excel but that was many moons ago now.  I still use excel files to document lists of various bits of information
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline rogerb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 09:39 GMT (UK) »
How do these programs compare to simply using the Ancestry tree system?  What advantages do they have apart from being able to use when offline?

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Tribal Pages.

Easy to use and free for the basic version.

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those suggestions. Thinking more carefully about the ideal template I would want, it would be something that could cope with about 16+ generations and breadth to include siblings and their offspring. (Sometimes, in order to find the person you are interested in, you have to discount several others of the same name who can be distant cousins.)
Another consideration would be able to have the tree secure without open access and I don't really want to have one on Ancestry, for example, as I don't want to be a permanent member - couldn't afford it, for one! To be able to collate the data and store it on my own pc would be good. Are these software packages a once only fee or do they expect you to keep on paying?
Champion, Offen, Sanders, Mercer, Edwards, Baker, Kemp, King, Bell - Kent
Richards, Dening, Zealley/Zeally - Dorset
Hills, Cottington, Osborn/e - Sussex
Faithfull - Hampshire

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Try PAF.  It's free so, if you don't like it, you haven't lost anything.  It's outdated, to be sure, but I use it and like it.  I have a large tree and it does everything I need.

https://mocogenso.wordpress.com/2020/03/31/where-to-download-paf-5-2-from-the-internet-in-2020/
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Software is a “One off fee” but they do improve versions over the years like any other computer software. You don’t have to keep upgrading though.

Building a  tree using software can be as big as you want, there is no limitation  ;D navigation or finding a person is easy, you can’t lose anyone.

You can use the basic fact templates or create your own, add notes, sources and media. You do not have to stick rigidly to what is provided, start by creating the basic tree frame, the add the facts you already have. Create a folder for all your downloaded media and documents, organising your info into subfolders so that you can find everything again.  Media and documents just link to this folder, the software doesn’t move any of your files.

Obviously printing out a large family tree has its limitations, that applies to all types of software.

I do suggest you try as many free trials as you want, and find one you feel comfortable working with, you don’t have to build a large tree just one or two generations and play at adding the facts, sources and media, creating lists and creating reports. They can deal with quite complex relationships!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline martin hooper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 November 21 17:16 GMT (UK) »
How do these programs compare to simply using the Ancestry tree system?  What advantages do they have apart from being able to use when offline?

1. You don't need to maintain an ancestry subscription to be able to see your attached media.
2. You can do more with your data, for example filter to view all people that meet certain criteria. Such as all WW1 deaths that lived in a certain place. The possibilities are endless.