Author Topic: BASE of Pockthorpe, Norwich  (Read 108 times)

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BASE of Pockthorpe, Norwich
« on: Thursday 25 November 21 03:11 GMT (UK) »
For many years I have had a 'brick wall', Samuel BASE who married Jane WINTER in St Edmund's 1778. They had many children in various Norwich parishes 1780-1803.

Over the years I collected other BASE people who had events in Norwich without being able to tie them together.

Recently I solved the issue.  The people who were using the name BASE in Pockthorpe Norwich changed their name from BEAST.  I can tie this down quite well, as a child Elizabeth was Chr as BEAST in 1770 and was buried as BASE in 1771.  This is NOT my only evidence but is the bit that informs me of the date.

Prior to 1770 there were very few people named BASE in Pockthorpe, but many named BEAST (sometimes transcribed in error as BOAST).  After 1770, BEAST disappears from the records, and BASE becomes common.  I have tied 4 BASE men who 'appeared from nowhere' at marriage, to BEAST Chr in the given name and age at death.

I have been unable to understand why this happened, but as the events are almost all in Pockthorpe, and the change is sudden, the parson must have (1) been aware of and (2) agreed with the change.  I have paged through the PR, just to confirm there are no notes by the parson, and to see if maybe a new parson arrived.  No notes, and the parson remained the same throughout.  Or I should say the hand writing remained the same, it could be that of the parish Clerk.

If anyone wants I can post specific details, just ask. People with mystery BASE people in Norwich, born before (say) 1775, please post names.....

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BASE of Pockthorpe, Norwich
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 21 10:46 GMT (UK) »
This would be about the same time as the beginning of the tradition of parading the Pockthorpe Dragon (circa 1772) - perhaps the family didn't want to be associated with the "beast" of Pockthorpe. 

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 November 21 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Well that got me intrigued enough to google it.  This fits in with the idea of learning something new every day. Thank :o you

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 November 21 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I found it out by googling "beast of pockthorpe" just to see if anything came up.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk