Author Topic: Tenmile County Book Query  (Read 72 times)

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tenmile County Book Query
« on: Thursday 25 November 21 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Howard L. Leckey's 'The Tenmile Country and its Pioneer Families' mentions some Armstrong families on pages 539-544. I'm interested in getting more details re John (b about 1773), who was the son of John (1736-1822) and his wife Mary (nee Kennedy). She seems to have died on 22 Apr 1812.

John (b abt 1773) is said to have wed Rebekah Miller, (b1776). I would like more info re these people - eg wills, land grants and other docs. I have seen a number of pedigrees online, but not sure which are accurate. Some have Rebekah's surname as Mueller.  Can anyone provide solid info?

Cheers,

Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Tenmile County Book Query
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 November 21 18:41 GMT (UK) »
This was in Western Pennsylvania, I gather?

Familysearch will tell you what they have available online.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/location/united-states-of-america/pennsylvania

Their catalog will tell you what they have in the Family History Library.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog

I'd try looking for family histories of the three family names you have. Sometimes a genealogy of for example Mary Kennedy's family will at least mention her husband's parents. And vice versa, an Armstrong history might tell you about the Kennedys.

Also looking for other local histories of the area. As one review of Tenmile Country said "These family histories contain details not likely to be found elsewhere." (https://www.librarything.com/work/1675421/reviews/97047280)

That is true of many local histories of the US counties. You usually hit a treasure if they include your ancestor.

Miller is the same as Mueller. At least you know she was German, not English. A lot of German names were Anglicized over time.

I've seen Kennedy spelled a couple other ways also.

John Armstrong (1736-1822) is not in the D.A.R. database for service in the American Revolution from PA or VA
https://services.dar.org/public/dar_research/search_adb/default.cfm.
That doesn't mean he didn't fight. It just means no descendant has claimed membership in the DAR based on his service. It's a plus if you find an ancestor in the DAR, since the research has been done and some of it is actually reliable.

Western Pennsylvania was the frontier or beyond until at least 1763 if I remember my American history right. So another challenge might be figuring out when those families even arrived in the area and where from. See if you can find out the general flow of families, not just those three, into the area. My first guess is that they came from central or eastern Pennsylvania, since Armstrong can be Scottish and Mueller is German.

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 November 21 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks. Much appreciated.  I've worked all the usual methods but I'm hoping someone who has studied PA and Ohio's history in depth will have extra information to share. For example, the Tenmile book mentions 'The Muddy Creek Ledger' plus John Armstrong and his son, David. I've just found a paperback re that, so will search through it asap.  I'm currently reading through a history of Guernsey Co, Ohio.
Cheers,
Bob

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 26 November 21 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you contacted any local genealogy societies?

Offline castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 26 November 21 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Not yet. Good suggestion. I'll work through the leads I have so far - they may be enough.
Cheers,
Bob