Author Topic: 1944 Merchant Navy - abbreviation query  (Read 808 times)

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1944 Merchant Navy - abbreviation query
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 25 November 21 18:17 GMT (UK) »
The ship was the ss PALMA official number, 168085,  torpedoed and sunk by U-183 on 29 February 1944.

Just my opinion but I think M.N.O.W.T means Merchant Navy OnWard Transportation.

*Looking at it again, I am not so sure.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 November 21 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hugh, interesting to know about Palmer sinking. Researching my Merchant Navy ancestor has opened my eyes to how dangerous it was transporting especially the fuel and all other cargoes during the war. Shocking really that Merchant Seamen were not entitled to war grave status and so number of losses were not recorded as accurately.

I can’t find any info on FT 14’s movements. Any idea where I could look. Ive tried Nat Archives Ship Movements.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 26 November 21 00:00 GMT (UK) »

Better than my guess Hugh!

The contents of a "seaman's Pouch" vary from single registry cards to ID Cards, photographs, letters, applications forms and other ephemera. It will not give you details of his MN service. What you need to find is his Form CRS10
If it has survived. His form CRS 10 will tell you every ship he served on from early 1941. Together with dates and places of engagement and discharge.

Without a name I cannot give you a direct link. CRS10's are stored alphabetically in blocks of 60 names. TNA reference BT382

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_cr=bt382&_dss=range&_ro=any&_st=adv
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 26 November 21 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I can’t find any info on F.T. 14’s movements. Any idea where I could look. Ive tried Nat Archives Ship Movements.

I don't think you will find movement details as F.T. 14 appears to have been a Fleet Tender in situ in Columbo. They would appear to Royal Navy craft commanded by a Lt. Royal Naval Reservist and it may be the MN crew were on T124 Agreements. It would be interesting to see how this vessel is described in his Form CRS 10 when you get it.

There is not much out there about these craft. They were originally APc craft built by the USA and some were transfered to the RN and renamed F.T. Under the Lend/Lease scheme.
Here is a photo of USS APc-68, later (HMS FT-25). https://shipscribe.com/usnaux/APC/apc68a-08.jpg
F.T.14 was originally the US APc-72 and returned 29 May 46 at Subic Bay, destroyed by sinking 5 Aug 46. https://shipscribe.com/usnaux/APC/APC01.html

Regards
Hugh

Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO