Author Topic: Edith Janice Craine. 1881- ?  (Read 1573 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Edith Janice Craine. 1881- ?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 09:56 GMT (UK) »

The most common types of claims noted include: Original SSN (when the original application was submitted to obtain a SSN), Life Claim (when a claim was made for disability or retirement benefits), Death Claim (when a claim was made by a surviving family member for death or survivor benefits), and Duplicate SSN (usually used when an application was made to replace a SS card, it may also indicate a change in SSN or that more than one SSN was assigned).

Some information may include :-

Information you may find includes:

applicant's full name
Social Security Number (SSN)
date and place of birth
citizenship
sex
father's name
mother's maiden name
race/ethnic description (optional)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline m23to53

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, but I am trying to get my head round is the question - do these sort of entries refer to a certain event, as some of them have a secondary full date which could be when that person died. But not in this case where there is no indication of that. So why did they need to clarify her name in 1937 ?
The question came to me, did she marry in the late 1930s and so looking for a death under her birth name may be wasting time.

John

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 10:49 GMT (UK) »
There is no death mentioned on the SSN application, looks like the file is visible because she was born before 1897, ( if you look at FAQs it says anyone who would have been 110 in 2007 even if there is no death record then the files were made visible online.)

Also says it was 1962 before deaths were marked on the files so a long period when she could have died and not marked on files.

Why was she not on the 1940 census?

She could have died 1937 / 1940

She could have left the country, I wonder if some American writers left for warmer climates, I am thinking Caribbean, Central America.

I think that needs someone with knowledge of writers of that period.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 11:01 GMT (UK) »
You can apply for a copy of her SS-5 form - that's the application she made when she first signed up for Social Security. Besides what you already know - her parents, her date of birth, etc - it will tell you her address when she applied. If that information is worth the time and, I think, money, then go ahead.

You might have to be able to prove her parents have died. I know you have to with more recent individuals. But there might be a cutoff year before which you don't have to. (And as Jaywit mentioned, the SSA already admits that Edith has died.*) Try Googling "applying for a copy of someone's SS-5 form" or a similar phrase.

edit: * so logically they should be willing to admit that her parents have died, without your having to prove it to them.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 11:31 GMT (UK) »

I could be wrong but I think it just means at that date in June 1937 they issued a card in that name (Edith Janice Craine) in New York. (first three digits 121)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 12:05 GMT (UK) »
This is taken from a for sale on E Bay.

Ki-Ki, A Circus Trouper, Edith J Craine, 1937 1st Edition - Children's Hardback
Illustrated by Kurt Wiese
1937 Junior Press Book by Albert Whitman & Co., Inc., Chicago IL
Beautiful story for children about a small dog that gets lost and finds a new family and home with the circus.
Book is beautifully illustrated by Kurt Wiese

So that gives us her publisher. Any chance they are still in existence and have records?
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 12:19 GMT (UK) »

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandra, it gives another avenue for M23 to explore.

You would think publishers had address for authors to send them payments.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, but I am trying to get my head round is the question - do these sort of entries refer to a certain event, as some of them have a secondary full date which could be when that person died. But not in this case where there is no indication of that. So why did they need to clarify her name in 1937 ?
The question came to me, did she marry in the late 1930s and so looking for a death under her birth name may be wasting time.

John

As I mentioned above, she was entered into their database as of June 1937.  I suspect that is what is meant by clarifying her name.

She could have married anywhere, but New York City and New York state have marriage records online for this time frame, and I didn't see any likely matches for her.