Author Topic: My grandfather...  (Read 453 times)

Offline k8w5

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My grandfather...
« on: Sunday 28 November 21 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Since starting my family tree research, I was told by my mum that her father (my grandfather) did serve in the army, it was something to do with cooking/the kitchen/culinary but that is the only information we have. I do have some photographs, but my knowledge of the army is non-existant. We don't even know his number. I found a letter my Nan wrote that was never sent, asking to be told of his army number and some information as she didn't even know because it was before they were married. I'm not sure if anyone here with some expertise in the area would be able to tell me any more or be able to point me in the direction to be able to find out. I've attached the photographs that we've got.

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: My grandfather...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 November 21 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Could you give a bit more information on your Grandad Stan then perhaps we could find a bit more about him for you.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 November 21 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Service records will still be with the MOD.
Apply here:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Cost is £30, and you'll need a copy of his death certificate, and his date of birth (or Service No).
Not available at any website.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline k8w5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 November 21 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Could you give a bit more information on your Grandad Stan then perhaps we could find a bit more about him for you.

Hi yes, what kind of information do you need? I know about being able to get the records from MoD but it says you need a service number which we’ve never had, not even his wife (my Nan). I wasn’t sure if anyone would recognise anything from the photos such as the place for the group photo or if his uniform gave any clues. Like I said I don’t have any knowledge of the army.

His name was John Stanley Daly, born in Prescot on 26th January 1919 and died 30th April 1982 in Upholland Skelmersdale

Offline Gordon163

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 November 21 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I was in a similar position to yourself, when I was searching for my biological father, about whom I had (as it turned out) a false name.

My MP got the following information from the then Secretary of State for Defence (Rt. Hon. Philip Hammond) that WW2 Soldiers' records would be transferred to The National Archives, using the following: the middle year of the war was 1942, so an 18 year old recruit in 1942 would have been born in 1924. So he expected that transfer of records would take  place c2024 (i.e. as per Census information). I expect that Covid may have delayed the process somewhat, but hopefully not too much. I expect one of the large companies may already have a contract for digitising the information, as they have done with WW1 records.

In my case, I managed to match my DNA with a grandson of my father. Luckily, my father was in The Royal Artillery and the Attestation records for The Royal  Artillery  are already online, so I was able to get his service number and apply for his records.

You may also get some help from a website called WW2Talk, which you will be able to get from Google.

Don't give up - it paid off in my case!

Good luck.

Gordon   

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 November 21 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Service records will still be with the MOD.
Apply here:
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Cost is £30, and you'll need a copy of his death certificate, and his date of birth (or Service No).
Not available at any website.

Did you read this post by KGarrad? As already stated, your do NOT need the service number if you can provide his date of birth. It tells quite clearly on the application form.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.