Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 5th December  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 5th December
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 23:18 GMT (UK) »
So sorry Annette to hear you’ve been feeling under the weather and such a shame to miss out on birthdays… still wise to stay away from people so as not to pass it on… hope you’re feeling better soon.

RTL - after all your hard work I’m really saddened to hear you’ve lost out on your weeks holiday which I’m sure you were looking forward to and desperately need..

Well Viktoria I do hope you’re wrong about Christmas… after last year we don’t really want to go through that again… let’s hope plenty of people get their 1st, 2nd and booster jabs to help everyone feel a little safer..

Night all, be safe and take care.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 December 21 03:36 GMT (UK) »
RUSKIE...as you say: " .....about Omicron. What a ridiculous name. Surely there are some better letters of the Greek alphabet to choose from.  ::) 

One of my more waggish facebook contacts has noted that "Omicron B" is an anagram of "No Crimbo"!!   ::)

Within virtually minutes of the new variant given the name Omicron and not Nu as we first heard was a possibility, saw the first mention of the anagram Moronic and of course that has been pounced on and repeated over and over on social media by mostly those who oppose anything to do with health and safety relating to protection from virus infection,  whether that be Govt, Ministry of Health, Media, public opinion, vaccinations, borders, etc, etc

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 December 21 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Something more peaceful to share ...

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 December 21 10:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a lot to be said for the “ ordinary”,the  wellknown,familiar, usual.
“The daily round the common task will furnish all I need to ask”.,from a well known hymn, how many undergoing difficult treatments long for the ordinary,even boring times before.
A bit daft this but more than a grain of truth in it beyond the comical:-
Norah Batty from “Last of the Summer Wine.”
“Boring, there’s nowt wrong with boring, you know where you are with
boring .
I trained my Wally ( her husband) to be boring , had just got him right when he went and died , yes, there’s nowt wrong with boring.
There ought to be more of it about!”

True!
Viktoria.

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 December 21 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Morning all. Not ignoring everything that has been posted, but I have a question .

Tv this morning had lovely footage of a schools nativity play. Our daughters now in their 30's , took part in nativity in nursery and school productions in junior school. I however don't remember being in any nativity plays at school or church, my mum hasn't recorded anything in her detailed diaries either whereas everything else is recorded . I do have vivid memories of being in other school productions and what I did, what I wore etc and they are in her diary.
I can remember learning the Christmas carols (and at church ) so did my school and church just not do such things as dressing up back in the day? It seems strange that I have no memories or even expectations that I might get to play a wise man ( person) or some thing. My youngest was desperate to play Mary and got to but I don't even recall any ambitions ?
What does anyone else recall?
North East of England

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 02 December 21 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I was in the nativity play in primary school, I was an angel.  :) Not sure if it was based on acting ability, they chose the blonde girls to be angels.  ;D

Hope you're feeling better Annette.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 02 December 21 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I was in the nativity play in primary school, I was an angel.  :) Not sure if it was based on acting ability, they chose the blonde girls to be angels.  ;D

Hope you're feeling better Annette.  :)

Thank you Roobarb - feeling a bit better than yesterday so hopefully turned the corner now.

Whilst I don't actually remember the nativity play itself I know there was one and that I was an angel too - have a photo somewhere to prove it.   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 02 December 21 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Can’t claim any fame of being in a nativity play…but I was a fairy in a production of A Mid Summer Nights Dream…. Apparently I had to be yanked off the stage as I was busy looking for my Mum and Dad and hadn’t spotted everyone else had gone… last time I was on the stage… think I was about 4 yrs old…

Caroline

PS - glad to hear you’re feeling a bit better today Annette…onwards and upwards
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 December 21 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Such fun in the Nativity plays,often with another slant but always came to the point ,such as God wondering where the best place would be for Jesus to be born, so Hawaii ,with Hula dancers, Scotland with boys (my grandson included ) wearing the kilt, the Great Plains of America. With an Indian encampment ,squaws ( grand daughter included  ) with papooses on their backs ,braves and the big Chief ,China with lovely CheongSam dresses,
Spain with Senoritas ,castanets and Flamenco etc etc.
Of course the place finally decided upon was Bethlehem.
Jolly  songs,lovely home made costumes ,great fun.
The sheep in the fields ,their costumes were based on Shaun the sheep,the chickens pecking round with yellow rubber gloves on their feet ,oxen ,donkey and camels - all in costumes .
Those little plays had parents laughing and then with bright eyes as the whole point was reached .
Angels galore, Tea towels on heads shepherds, and magnificent kings ,always if three nations, head wear, bejewelled turban, typical crown and one with a peacock’s feather , gifts in wonderful containers
Trailing robes ,Caspar, Balthazar  and  Melchior .
Girls who were chosen to be Mary never forgot how special it was.

Such hard work but always worth it.

Viktoria.