Author Topic: Adoption, Hostels and Name Change  (Read 671 times)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption, Hostels and Name Change
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 21:52 GMT (UK) »

Who registered the birth?

Registration place was same as birth place?

If baby is adopted at birth I would look for adopted parents to be known to mother....friends...close family?

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 12:06 GMT (UK) »
The birth was in Kidderminster in a "hostel" for unmarried mothers. The birth was registered in Kidderminster.
The mother then returned to Nuneaton (6-ish miles north of Coventry) without the child.
We don't know when the child was adopted.  The half sister won't do a DNA test, but I'm trying to convince the half niece to do one instead. I know that may not give any links.

The family only know there was a baby and it was adopted. They seem to think Australia, but there's no evidence.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Is the half sister the only half sibling or are there others?

If she is the only one & given her reluctance to do a DNA test - is it because she’s not interested in finding her half sister?

If there are other half siblings - are any prepared to do the test?

If no interest - who is driving this query?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 January 22 16:10 GMT (UK) »
There are 3 half siblings. Yes they want to find out what happened to their half sister, but none of them are willing to pay for the DNA test! The lady who has asked me to help is the daughter of one of the siblings, and she is quite annoyed at them for not coughing up the money - she says they can afford it. So, I'm trying to convince her to take one, although there's much less chance of a solid match.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 January 22 16:46 GMT (UK) »
 It doesn’t sound to me as though they are that eager to find her if they won’t pay the fee.   ??? ???

Why can’t they split the fee 3 ways & nominate one of them to do the test?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 January 22 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Apparently this is normal as non of them like parting with money for anything! The niece is very angry with them!