Author Topic: Does this look like the right baptism?  (Read 296 times)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does this look like the right baptism?
« on: Tuesday 30 November 21 20:49 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 Census of Lincoln (7, Jacksonís Court) gives the birthplace of Ann Mitchell as Stamford. Her age is given as 59. Stamford is the birthplace of her husband William too.

Iím pretty confident that William Mitchell married Ann Muse in Swineshead, Lincs., in 1820 (their son was baptised Jacob Muse Mitchell). I thought Iíd found Ann Museís baptism a while ago (1805, Stamford All Saints). However, Iíve just found that this girl was buried in 1809.

I now think that a possible baptism for Ann Muse was in St Botolph, Boston, in 1805, (aged 2?), parents Jacob and Ann. Jacob and Ann also had a daughter Sarah baptised at the same time. The date of baptism fits, and not only is Boston close to Swineshead, but there is also the fact that William and Annís marriage was witnessed by a Sarah Muse, and that their son was baptised Jacob.

Unfortunately I canít find Ann Mitchell in the 1851 Census (William is lodging in that year in Kirton), so I only have the possibly inaccurate 1861 Census giving her birthplace as Stamford, since she died in 1863.

Does that Boston baptism look convincing?
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor Whybrow; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bennet Bentley Crisp Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Seel Taylor Woodward Wright; LINCS: Buswell Lambert Mitchell Muse Sayers; OXON: Barnett Beacham; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Does this look like the right baptism?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 November 21 21:07 GMT (UK) »
I'd feel quite happy about it if it were mine. What about Jacob and Ann? If either of them died after 1837 you might be lucky and have a daughter or a son-in-law named as the informant.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I'd feel quite happy about it if it were mine. What about Jacob and Ann? If either of them died after 1837 you might be lucky and have a daughter or a son-in-law named as the informant.

Thanks for the confirmation and death reg suggestion. Jacob looks to have died in 1838, so that is helpful.

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor Whybrow; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bennet Bentley Crisp Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Seel Taylor Woodward Wright; LINCS: Buswell Lambert Mitchell Muse Sayers; OXON: Barnett Beacham; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Iím sure itís the right baptism now because Iíve found that Sarah Muse married Robert Whisker and in 1841 Sarah ďWiskerĒ is in Donington, Lincs., the same village that her sister Ann Mitchell was in at the time. In 1851 Sarah Whisker is in Kirton, where William Mitchell was too (though Annís whereabouts then remains a mystery).

The 1851 & 1871 Censuses give Sarahís birthplace as Fosdyke. Jacob Muse & Ann Mason married in Fosdyke in 1791, and the Boston baptisms of Ann & Sarah give motherís maiden name as ďMasonĒ. So it looks as if Ann Muse later Mitchell was possibly born in Fosdyke, close to Boston. OTOH, she wasnít baptised until she was 4 years old. The majority of Muses in Lincolnshire seem to be connected with Stamford, so itís possible that she was actually born there (maybe Jacob & Ann were visiting his family), but not baptised until they were back in the Boston area.

Offline hgs46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Spotted an Ann Mitchael mar. aged 48 Nurse, born Louth, Lincolnshire, with daus. Sarah, 6, and Jane, 4, in 1851 Census at Cistern Gate, Louth, Lincs. Just in case ..