Author Topic: New Zealand WW1 Uniform Identification  (Read 605 times)

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
New Zealand WW1 Uniform Identification
« on: Wednesday 01 December 21 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping that someone might be able to assist me in relation to two photographs, which I believe are of my great grandfather, John Henry Liggins (aka Harry), who served in the Boer War as well as WW1 in New Zealand.

I've been provided with a photo of 'Harry' by his granddaughters, one that used to hang on their grandmothers wall, and as she was his wife (second), you'd think that she'd know whether or not it is him.  I will attach that photo to this post, and then attach a photo that is apparently of a different person to a post below this one.  To me, it is clear that they are definitely the same man, although in a book, the second photo is attributed to being one Osborne Liggins, proper name William Osborne Liggins, who is John Henry Liggins' cousin.  However, in this photo, the uniform does NOT match either of the mens Service records, which are available online in New Zealand via Archway.  So, I really need some help with uniform identification.

I'm hoping to receive within the next few days a very small photo that *might* be of Osborne, aka William Osborne Liggins, but that will take time to determine whether or not it is of him.  It was however found in a box that contained his WW1 Medals.

Here's the photo that I was provided by my great grandfathers granddaughters.

Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand
Oxley - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: New Zealand WW1 Uniform Identification
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Attached is the photo that was taken from a book, and attributed to being Osborne Liggins, cousin to John Henry Liggins.

Sinnamon (and variants); Black; McBreen; Brady. - Northern Ireland & New Zealand
Liggins, Liggons, Liggens (and variants) - Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Derbyshire & New Zealand
Padman (family very much involved in early Wesleyan Church) - England, Australia and New Zealand

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 06:19 GMT (UK) »
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 06:44 GMT (UK) »
REINFORCEMENT CAP BADGE:

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges/nz-reo-badges.htm

Tony

Thanks Tony - would you agree that they are the same man?

And would you have any idea of which badge he is wearing?  I can PM you a colourised and better resolution of the photo if that would help.

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Here's a closer view of the cap, and colorised as well.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 07:05 GMT (UK) »
Would agree the two photos are the same man.

The cap badge is more clear in the first B/W photo.
A kiwi with crossed rifles above and N. Z. REINFORCEMENTS underneath.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Would agree the two photos are the same man.

The cap badge is more clear in the first B/W photo.
A kiwi with crossed rifles above and N. Z. REINFORCEMENTS underneath.

Tony

I'm guessing you mean the image I've attached from the Diggers website.  Given that John Henry Liggins did not enlist until the 6th of February 1917, would that exclude him from wearing this particular badge?  I see on the Diggers website that it might have been an "unofficial" one - am I reading that correctly? 

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Although sepia photos make a bit of a mess of medal ribbons
both men appear to be wearing the Queen's & King's SA Medal ribbons.
Same men.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Tikva

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 December 21 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Although sepia photos make a bit of a mess of medal ribbons
both men appear to be wearing the Queen's & King's SA Medal ribbons.
Same men.

That would fit in with the fact that John Henry Liggins fought in the Boer War as well, and did in fact earn both of those ribbons. :)