Author Topic: 1921  (Read 1008 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: 1921
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 December 21 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Frequently asked questions
Is there any way I can view the 1921 Census for free?
Anyone will be able to view the digital images of the 1921 Census of England and Wales for free on the premises at The National Archives at Kew upon release on 6 January 2022 (00:01 GMT).
In addition, the 1921 Census will be free to view via Findmypast at the Manchester Central Library, on St Peterís Square, Manchester, supported by the Manchester and Lancashire Family History Society helpdesk and the Archives+ Team, and at the National Library of Wales, in Aberystwyth.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/1921-census

That's answered that then  :)
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 December 21 17:54 GMT (UK) »
The notice from TNA said Aberystwyth not Cardiff and that has led to some comments about how for folk even in Wales it's not an easy place to get to. I wonder why Aberystwth was chosen?

Perhaps because National Library is there?
https://www.library.wales/

Thanks - that would make sense.
North East of England

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 December 21 19:34 GMT (UK) »
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/about/news/regional-hubs-to-offer-free-online-access-to-1921-census/

I'm just wondering whether we have misinterpreted the above  :-\  It only mentions free access via FindMyPast, but NOT that the records themselves will be obtainable without charge.

The census will be available online via our commercial partner Findmypast and will be free to access in this way at The National Archives, in Kew.
In addition, visitors to the Manchester Central Library and the National Library of Wales will be able to access the 1921 Census of England and Wales via the Findmypast website for free following its publication next year.

It seems clear enough.  Findmypast is the platform via which the digital images are viewable.  They will also be downloadable so that people can take copies of any images they want.  That's how the 1911 census was made available and this will be the same.  Obviously you pay for photocopies as is usual.

It's no different really from free access in libraries to the library editions of Ancestry and FindMyPast.  But on a smaller scale to allow FindMyPast to recover their costs while TNA fulfils its obligations to the public.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.