Author Topic: Name on census  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Name on census
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 02 December 21 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I know this family is complicated with numerous changes of name. With much help from people on this forum, I have slowly unravelled their story. There are some juicy and entertaining court appearances to be found under the various names if you trawl FindMyPast. Although their crimes were minor, they were numerous and might well explain the various name changes. I know, for instance, that after Emily Sarah abandoned Joseph Bellenger, he was summonsed and ordered to make monthly payments to clear her debt to the owner of a local shoe shop.

There are now three really big brick walls remaining, plus numerous small ones. The three biggies are:

(1) What happened to Arthur Joseph after his marriage to Annie MUNDAY in December 1886? He doesn't appear on the 1891, 1901 or 1911 censuses. By 1918 Annie is living with his brother William Albert, though they don't marry until 1931.

(2) What happened to Emily Sarah's first child Frederick Lisbert JEWELL/JOEL, who was brought up by his maternal grandparents (John Jewell and Caroline Allen) and in 1871 was in Aldershot with the 1st Battalion of the King's Own Regiment (private 1698).

(3) Who was James PARSONS? I can find nothing about him before 1877 when he and Emily Sarah got together, nor can I find out fro sure what happened to him after Emily Sarah's death in Stratton in 1901. There is a possible death in Wandsworth in 1908, but there is no proof that it is the correct person.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 02 December 21 16:07 GMT (UK) »
I'd have thought "Judri" was Frederick - aged 2 in April 1901.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 02 December 21 16:14 GMT (UK) »
But the 1911 census states 5 children from the marriage, with four surviving.

So if Judri was Frederick, who was the fifth child?

As far as I can see, the name on the 1901 census begins with a J, compare to the James above. I don't see how Judri can be a misspelling of Frederick, Freddie or even Fred.

Ancestry thinks Judri is Judie!

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 02 December 21 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Fredri.
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 02 December 21 16:37 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can see, the name on the 1901 census begins with a J, compare to the James above. I don't see how Judri can be a misspelling of Frederick, Freddie or even Fred.

The 1901 census books are transcribed from the household returns. It's possibly a mistranscription by the enumerator.

Otherwise, where is Frederick in 1901?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 December 21 17:12 GMT (UK) »
I know how the returns are composed. If Judri is Freddie, then where is the fifth child mentioned in 1911 who has presumably died?

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 December 21 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Fredri. would make sense, but still leaves open the problem of the missing fifth child.

I'm encouraged that some progress is being made.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 03 December 21 10:54 GMT (UK) »
There is an air force service record for a Frederick Bellinger which contains the following information: Birth 19 Feb 1899 Wandsworth
Attestation ( to army) 1916 Air Force 1918
Marriage in Oxford 6 May 1918
Wife's address in Oxford 6 Charles Street.

Could this be your Frederick?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Greaves

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 03 December 21 11:02 GMT (UK) »
It could well be. I came across the same record a few days ago when searching, but was unable to verify the connection. Often in such cases, the NOK box is helpful, but not in this particular case.

The biggest problem with this family is the disappearance of Arthur Joseph - the husband/father - from all records. Yet according to the 1911 census, he and Annie have been together for 24 years and had five children.

I have sent for a couple of birth certificates, one from the beginning for Elizabeth and one from the end for Frederick. I am hoping these will confirm whether or not Arthur was the father of all the offspring.

I'm still not sure of Annie's marital status as reported on the 1901 census. Is it an "M" for married or a  "W" for widowed?