Author Topic: Ship conargoWW1  (Read 1086 times)

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Ship conargoWW1
« on: Thursday 02 December 21 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi lm hoping somone can point me in the right direction,, lve found a record of a ship lm leaving Australia 1917 on its journey a William John Milligan went missing presumed overboard, He was born In birkenhead in UK l have a news paper death record naming him his parents and his address that all seem correct,, he would have been 33 yrs born 1884, my question is how do l find why he was in Australia,, l thought he worked on the ship as his father was on the docks in Birkenhead and we have John has a Dock labourer around 1911,,
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ship conargoWW1
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 December 21 20:24 GMT (UK) »
lve found a record of a ship lm leaving Australia 1917 on its journey a William John Milligan went missing presumed overboard

Can I just ask where is this record? Is it on Ancestry? Which record collection is it in?

If you have access to Find My Past, there are three records (with images) for your fellow, which hopefully might provide the details you require.

British Armed Forces And Overseas Deaths And Burials

MILLIGAN
Birth year: 1884
Record date: 1917

MILLIGAN, John William

MILLIGAN
Record date: 1918

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 December 21 20:46 GMT (UK) »
lve found a record of a ship lm leaving Australia 1917 on its journey a William John Milligan went missing presumed overboard

Can I just ask where is this record? Is it on Ancestry? Which record collection is it in?

If you have access to Find My Past, there are three records (with images) for your fellow, which hopefully might provide the details you require.

British Armed Forces And Overseas Deaths And Burials

MILLIGAN

MILLIGAN, John William

MILLIGAN
Record date: 1918

SS Conargo was Armed Merchant Ship.

I dont know if rules were charged due to war, but it was usual for death/loss at sea of crew or passenger at the ship's next port of call. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 December 21 22:23 GMT (UK) »
The CONARGO was built by Flensburg Schiffsh, Germany, in 1902 as the ALTONA.  The ship was requisitioned by the Australian government during World War I and was subsequently armed for protection. The owner given in the Mercantile Navy List of 1920 was The Admiralty, Whitehall.

The ship was attacked on voyage to Lamlash Bay by U-96. Nine crewmen lost their lives, with 45 survivors being landed in Dublin by Italian owned NITOR. The CONARGO was being towed towards Holyhead harbour when she was torpedoed again and finally sank on 31 March 1918.

The names listed on the Tower Hill Memorial for the lost Mercantile Marines are : S Morris, trimmer; J Murphy, Trimmer, age 18; James Jordan, Fireman, age 45; James Clark Deegan, Fireman, age 23; Harry Adlwinckle, Fireman, age 38; Andrew Grundy, Scullion, age 17; Patrick Jackson, Fireman, age 29; Christopher Power, Fireman, age 21; Thomas Power, Boatswain, age 29; and Henry James Malone, Donkeyman, age 29.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 December 21 22:41 GMT (UK) »
The 1901 census has John William Milligan working as a dock labourer.
He is recorded on the crew list for "ALCINOUS" in 1902-03
The 1911 census has John William Milligan working as an engineer in the mercantile marine.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline eda

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 December 21 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou yes l have a few crew records for John William,, l was sent a news paper cutting with the death report it was in the Liverpool echo march 1918
I have FindMyPast and did see the page with the reference to him dying at sea,, but only one reference not three lve not been using this FindMyPast site long l usually use ancestry so finding it a bit difficult to use l will keep trying as l want to see any details about John William  thankyou ,
heywood Lancashire  stubbs ,macclesfeild cheshire
winstanley ,  brown, gatley ,mitchel ( milligan/mulligan Blackburn Prescot prestwich Mayo and swineford area )dwyer, Harrison birkenhead and ireland

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 December 21 01:08 GMT (UK) »
In addition to the detail provided by Neale1961 and perhaps assist any future researcher of those killed, I offer the following:
1. ALDWINCKLE, HARRY (38), Fireman, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918, Son of Harry and Sarah Aldwinckle (nee Bailey), of 11 Dock House Rd, Grays, Essex. Born at Corby, Northants.
2. DEEGAN, JAMES CLARK (23), Fireman, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918, Son of John James and Mary Catherine Deegan (nee Beamish), of 47 Edinburgh St, Liverpool. Born at Liverpool.
3. GRUNDY, ANDREW (17), Scullion, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918, Son of William and Mary Jane Grundy (nee McCarten), of 2 Mornington St., Liverpool.
4. JACKSON, PATRICK (29), Fireman, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918, Son of Thomas and Mary Anne Jackson (nee Hynes), of 50 St. John's Rd, Kirkdale, Liverpool. Born at Bootle.
5. JORDAN, JAMES (45), Fireman, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918, Son of Alice Jordan, and the late John Jordan; husband of Mary Jordan (nee Murphy), of 23 Lamb St, Liverpool). Born at Dundalk.
6. MALONE, HENRY JAMES (29), Donkeyman, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918, Son of John Malone, of 34 Queen's Rd, Bootle, Liverpool, and the late Caroline Malone (nee Osborne).
7. MORRIS, Trimmer, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918.
8. MURPHY (18), Trimmer, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918, Son of Catherine Murphy (nee Carroll), of 29 Penrhyn St, Liverpool, and the late William Murphy. Born in Liverpool.
9. POWER, CHRISTOPHER (21), Fireman, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918, Son of Michael and Amelia Power (nee Pender), of 61 Boreland St, Bootle, Lancs. Born at Bootle.
10. POWER, THOMAS (29), Boatswain, SS Conargo, Mercantile Marine, †31/03/1918, Son of Mary Anne Power and the late Thomas Power; husband of Eileen Power (nee Quinn), of 68 Manor St, Waterford. Born at Waterford.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 December 21 01:16 GMT (UK) »
I have FindMyPast and did see the page with the reference to him dying at sea,, but only one reference not three.

Hopefully the additional two records I mentioned above will provide helpful details. I do not have access to FindMyPast, or else I'd include some of the info. TIP: I found the other two FindMyPast records using just his surname + "Conargo" [correction] as the keyword search. Sometimes "less is more" when searching, particularly when certain records don't include the first name(s).

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 December 21 01:45 GMT (UK) »
I have FindMyPast and did see the page with the reference to him dying at sea,, but only one reference not three.

Hopefully the additional two records I mentioned above will provide helpful details. I do not have access to FindMyPast, or else I'd include some of the info. TIP: I found the other two FindMyPast records using just his surname + "Carnago" as the keyword search. Sometimes "less is more" when searching, particularly when certain records don't include the first name(s).

I am confident that SS CONARGO is the correct name for the ship that our OP is asking about - its in the topic heading, so I am disappointed that FindMyPast would have it as Carnago.

JM.   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.