Author Topic: Photo - can you help me identify any clues?!  (Read 583 times)

Offline RosaEvans

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo - can you help me identify any clues?!
« on: Friday 03 December 21 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I recently posted on the general forum abut trying to find a photo of my great grandfather for my dad. After HOURS of research, I may have found one.

I am completely inexperienced in genealogy and everything related to it so I was hoping for some help.

Can you identify anything in the photo that may help me confirm it is in fact my grandfather? Even the most basic information is appreciated. Any context or background for the Sheffield Blades would also be amazing, or what the number at the front of the picture means.

The context is said to be from WW1 of the York and Lancs Regiment. I believe the man directly to the left of the gentleman in the white shirt is my great grandfather, Edwin Henry Kirk (1888-1936). He died when my grandad was 13 so we don't have much info on him, although we know he was a drinker and gambler who was fired for gambling whilst working for the council. He served with the York and Lancs in WW1, in the 2nd, 3rd and 8th Battalion (based on FindMyPast info).

Thank you so much for any help you can provide.

copyright image removed

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Photo - can you help me identify any clues?!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 21 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 December 21 16:22 GMT (UK) »
There are newspaper mentions of the Sheffield Blades as a term for the local Volunteer Training Corps (VTC)

See https://www.yorkandlancasterregimentbadges.com/volunteer-training-corps/volunteer-training-corps-during-ww1
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 December 21 07:22 GMT (UK) »
Rosa
can we start with
where was Edwin Henry born
who was his father / mother
any siblings
who did he marry
names of children - ( your grandad ) just initial of any still living
where did he die
we need background info  :)

for instance - Edwin H Kirk - died 1936 in Rotheram aged 48 - Rotheram is Yorkshire
Edwin Henry Kirk b 1888 in Ashby De La Zouche - Leicestershire .

did he live in Lancashire ??
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline RosaEvans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 December 21 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Rosa
can we start with
where was Edwin Henry born
who was his father / mother
any siblings
who did he marry
names of children - ( your grandad ) just initial of any still living
where did he die
we need background info  :)

for instance - Edwin H Kirk - died 1936 in Rotheram aged 48 - Rotheram is Yorkshire
Edwin Henry Kirk b 1888 in Ashby De La Zouche - Leicestershire .

did he live in Lancashire ??

where was Edwin Henry born: Ashby De La Zouch, 31st Dec 1887 (so appears 1888 in some places)
who was his father / mother: Henry and Rosanna Kirk. Henry died, mother remarried Michael Heavy
any siblings: Rose Hannah, Eliza E, Lois A, Gladys M, Ellen Victor
who did he marry: Edith Asbery in 1920, Rotherham
names of children - Annie Elizabeth, William, Irene, Harry, Edwin, Richard, Fredrick, Walter.
where did he die: Rotherham, 1936

He was born in Leicestershire and moved to Yorkshire within a year. Through his adult life he moved between Eastwood, Nottinghamshire and Rotherham, Yorkshire. The record you found is correct - as I was looking for clues in the photo I didn't realise people would want info about Edwin, so I appreciate you taking the time to look for him.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 December 21 18:56 GMT (UK) »
I believe the man directly to the left of the gentleman in the white shirt is my great grandfather, Edwin Henry Kirk (1888-1936).

Do you mean "directly to the left of the gentleman in the white shirt" left or right side 'looking at the pic'?

It may seem an odd question but the words 'looking at the pic' can make such a difference when trying to identify people in photos.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline RosaEvans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 December 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I believe the man directly to the left of the gentleman in the white shirt is my great grandfather, Edwin Henry Kirk (1888-1936).

Do you mean "directly to the left of the gentleman in the white shirt" left or right side 'looking at the pic'?

It may seem an odd question but the words 'looking at the pic' can make such a difference when trying to identify people in photos.

Annie

To his left from the viewers point of view - looking at the photo.

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 December 21 22:16 GMT (UK) »
The Sheffield Pals, were designated The 12th York’s and Lancs.
They fought bravely on The Somme ,there is a memorial there in “ Sheffield Park”,near Serre.

Young men from the same workplace  etc.
If you can find it you will feel you know some of those men ; “Covenant with Death”  by John Harris.
Not sure if The Blades were part of The Pals .
Sheffield being a great centre of steel making ,especially cutlery ,perhaps those men were cutlers engaged in making the steel cutlery for which Sheffield was renowned.
I now regret being - ruthless in a downsizing house move - how many books I parted with.
There was one ,the history of The Sheffield Pals, lots  of photographs etc .
I feel sure it could still be available , try “Sword and Pen publications “.
Best of luck.
Viktoria.
Just looked, yes Pen and Sword books ,ISBN 9781848843448.
You can order online ,book about £16.
V.

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 December 21 07:14 GMT (UK) »
What evidence are you using to suppose the man in the photo is your grandfather?
There is no other photo of your grandfather for comparison.
The men in the Sheffield Blades photo are not named, and the photo is not dated or stated where taken.

13146 Edwin Henry Kirk enlisted in the 8th Battalion on the 1 Sep 1914 in Rotherham.
His medal records confirm that he landed in France on 27 Aug 1915 as below.

8th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Pontefract in September 1914 as part of K3 and came under orders of 70th Brigade in 23rd Division. Moved to Frensham, and on to Aldershot in November. Moved to Hythe in February 1915 and went on in May to Bordon.
27 August 1915 : landed at Boulogne.

Edwin joined the 9th Battalion in 1916 and then the 3rd, 8th, 10th & 2nd Battalions in 1917/1918.

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Bing~Kent, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex