Author Topic: Kirkhill Macdonalds  (Read 942 times)

Offline The Mountie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirkhill Macdonalds
« on: Friday 03 December 21 20:52 GMT (UK) »
I posted here before bemoaning the fact I’d hit a brick wall. Firstly, thank you to all who responded.
I’m happy to report I’ve made progress!
I was stuck at my 3x great grandfather, Donald Macdonald, who I thought to be born 1798, father Donald Macdonald. This was wrong.
I found him today!
Donald Macdonald, born 21/02/1799. Parents John Macdonald, and Mary Chisholm. They were married 1792 at Inverness.
Interesting thing is John was married using the name John Macqueen. This name was also used as an alias in record of birth of son in 1805.
Other children are :-
John Macdonald, b 13/11/1793
Twins, Elizabeth & Katherine, born 25/12/1794
David Macdonald, 18/10/1796
Sween/Sweyn/Swein born 1806.
John senior was a blacksmith near Kirkhill.
This occupation was carried on right through the generations until death of my grandfather in 1964.
I’m hoping this will hook into somebody else’s research, and of course I’m looking now for John’s parents.
A Gaelic scholar friend of mine  suggested the use of Macqueen may indicate John was ‘son of’ Macqueen/MacSween, so a patronymic name, translated into English.
All suggestions/info welcome.
Thank you

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkhill Macdonalds
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 December 21 21:26 GMT (UK) »
This is John in the 1841 census. His age will give you an approximate birth year, abt 1771 to 1775
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a14c89df4040b9d6ecb8611/john-mcdonald-1841-inverness-shire-kirkhill-1771-?locale=en

There is a John McQueen baptised in Kirkhill in April 1774 to John McQueen and Mary Fraser.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline The Mountie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 December 21 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neale, thanks for your reply. Yes I’ve seen the 1841 census.
Not that baptism though, I’ll have a look at that one.
Thank you

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 December 21 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see any other children born to that couple, and no marriage for that couple. The son John may have been illegitimate, and the mother Mary later married a MacDonald, so the child took on his step-fathers name. It is only a thought. To investigate further …
 The kirk sessions for Kirkhill for the time in question are available on Scotlands People, and you might pick up mention of an illegitimate child there.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline The Mountie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 December 21 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I cannot see any other children born to that couple, and no marriage for that couple. The son John may have been illegitimate, and the mother Mary later married a MacDonald, so the child took on his step-fathers name. It is only a thought. To investigate further …
 The kirk sessions for Kirkhill for the time in question are available on Scotlands People, and you might pick up mention of an illegitimate child there.

It’s possible yes. The MacQueen/Macdonald alias might be down to the Gaelic/English translation and the way names were used.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 December 21 21:29 GMT (UK) »

There is a John McQueen baptised in Kirkhill in April 1774 to John McQueen and Mary Fraser.

There are more birth/christening entries in that period for a John McQueen and a Margaret Fraser. Might be worth considering whether Mary was written as Marg. and been misindexed.

McQueen has a number of variants. Best using wildcards when you can. I have searched as M*cQu*n. Apart from the usual Mac and Mc, you have McQuean, McQuian, McQuien, McQuin etc.

I did see a set of parents in Kirkhill for 1803 where father showed as ALEXANDER MACQUEAN OR MCDONALD.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline The Mountie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 December 21 22:14 GMT (UK) »

There are more birth/christening entries in that period for a John McQueen and a Margaret Fraser. Might be worth considering whether Mary was written as Marg. and been misindexed.

McQueen has a number of variants. Best using wildcards when you can. I have searched as M*cQu*n. Apart from the usual Mac and Mc, you have McQuean, McQuian, McQuien, McQuin etc.

I did see a set of parents in Kirkhill for 1803 where father showed as ALEXANDER MACQUEAN OR MCDONALD.

Monica

He Monica, I saw some of them but the places of residence and occupations were wrong.

I’m confident the 1792 wedding of John McQueen and Mary Chisholm is correct.

I’m looking for earlier than them, their parents.

Thank for for your advice. It’s much appreciated 🙏

Offline macdoir

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 December 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/article/irregular-marriage-and-kirk-session-scotland

Makes interesting reading.

I have been stuck on this one as well with John and Mary and did consider what was in the URl. I will investigate the McQueen line to see if any of their names are carried on in the family line.