Author Topic: Adoptions 1957-60  (Read 731 times)

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Adoptions 1957-60
« on: Sunday 05 December 21 17:45 GMT (UK) »
A quick question, a relative was sent to Australia NSW on a ship from Hull England in 1957, he was aged 16. We think he was sent for adoption. Where would I find any information on this please.
mounts/kent
rice/boteler-west ham essex
grigor/sutherland/davidson-scotland
widdowson-derbyshire/yorkshire

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoptions 1957-60
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 December 21 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Do you have any idea which state he went to?

BMDs are collected by state, rather than centrally. There are strict privacy regulations so any marriage or death may not yet be available publicly.  Ancestry has electoral rolls up to 1980. 
The National Archives (Australia) has some records for immigrant arrivals which may have your relative.
https://www.naa.gov.au/explore-collection/search-people

There were a number of organisations which brought children/youths to Australia around that time.

You may find these links helpful:
https://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Parliamentary_Departments/Parliamentary_Library/Publications_Archive/archive/ChildMigrantUK  (Re the programs for child migration)

https://www.findandconnect.gov.au/resources/former-child-migrants/

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 December 21 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes he sailed from Southampton to NSW Sydney but whether he stayed there I don't know. I have the details of the ship ect but not sure who to contact about adoption. He was born in 1941 so may have passed by now and don't know if his name was changed.
mounts/kent

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 December 21 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Did you have a look on the NAA site which have his name, but isn't likely to give much more information.

:) Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 December 21 00:17 GMT (UK) »
I've just sent you a PM

J

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am not sure that a lad of 16 would have needed to be formally adopted if coming to NSW in the 1950s or later.   I am sure that it was possible to actually leave school at age 15 in that era.  So he would have been old enough to find work and earn a living if he came to NSW.     I would expect the other states would have similar official school leaving age.

https://education.nsw.gov.au/about-us/our-people-and-structure/history-of-government-schools/government-schools/reform-movement
The official school leaving age was increased from 14 to 15 years in the 1940s - giving most children the opportunity to have two to three years of secondary education. This school leaving age remained in force until The Education Amendment Act 2009 raised the minimum school leaving age to 17 with effect from 2010.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline moiramount

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's what I thought. Thankyou.
mounts/kent

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 05:09 GMT (UK) »
His shipping record shows that he came under a "Youth Migrant' scheme so it's likely that he was under the aegis of whichever scheme brought him to Australia.  Once he reached the age of independence, depending on the scheme,  he would likely have been out on his own.

J :)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 12:21 GMT (UK) »
My dad's cousin left London in 1952 age just 15 and a half(all by himself) to start a new life in New Zealand. He was sent to the outback to work on a farm,until he met a girl,they married,had a family and he eventually got his own farm.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk