Author Topic: Diary summary week ending 12th December  (Read 4682 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary summary week ending 12th December
« Reply #54 on: Monday 13 December 21 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Yes ,thank you all for wondering, I am still here.

Lots of music involvement over the past few weeks, other than normal church services and preparing for our "Carols for Christmas" next week (mustn't call it Carol Service!!!) Played for a couple of Baptism services and two or three funerals.

In a funny sort of way I find these, not exactly comforting, but enabling me to continue on my journey without dear Nick, especially in choosing music to play before the service.  Our musical tastes were quite different, but he was nevertheless an accomplished musician ,particularly on his "kit", although not playing regularly in any band or group.

Two instances I will share with you.
When he was still at school, age about 14, he played percussion in the West Wilts Wind Band and in one concert the first item up was the Radetzky March. There was Nick, concentrating and producing clean and crisp accompaniment on his kit, but looking awfully worried. So during the interval I said to him "What was the problem Nick.?You looked worried to death during that piece".

"Well", he said "I had to play it from memory as the music was not in my folder"

When we moved here to Radstock I tried to get him interested in the local Brass Band; I had heard that they were short handed in the persussion section. So he went along for a rehearsal to give it a whirl. And that was the problem. The MD was a stickler for accuracy and did not deem Nick's occasional drifting into his own interpretation if the part was not particularly interesting.

TTFN
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 13 December 21 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Pleased to hear you're okay Jeff. Lovely stories about Nick, what a talented lad, you must have been very proud of him.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 13 December 21 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Jeff, Nick is still remembered on RootChat .
Just goes to show, I could say whether or not The Halle Orchestra were playing The National Anthem.
The French Horn player Maurice Handforth  always added his own extra bit ,
unmistakeable :-
God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen ,
God save the Queen .
Send her victorious ,
Happy and glorious ,
Long to reign oooooover us, (the “over “soaring for several seconds )
God save the Queen.

Another, Culcheth Prize Military Band in which my grandfather played, also had little extra musical phrases which made it easily recognisable without knowing which band it was.
I imagine it was not allowed to include them in the World Famous  band competition held in Lancashire ,bands playing as they pass the adjudicators who are behind screens .
Wending  their way through  Saddleworth , Delph , Uppermill etc.
A shambolation as the bands passed from pub to pub .I have never been lucky enough to be there .
It is impossible to park ,it is so popular and well known.
Thanks again.
Viktoria.