Author Topic: JANE COLMER (Colerer on marriage ref) born around 1766  (Read 1225 times)

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JANE COLMER (Colerer on marriage ref) born around 1766
« on: Monday 06 December 21 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’m struggling to find a baptism for a Jane COLMER (transcribed as Colerer on marriage register) who married James CLOSE in St Dunstan’s Church, Baltonsborough, Somerset on 3 June 1789.
The 1841 census shows both James and Jane as born 1766.

I cannot find a baptism for a Jane (using various spellings of her surname) born around 1766 in/near Baltonsborough. The nearest match is a baptism for Jane Comer on 12 Jan 1772, Street, Somerset by John and Betty Comer.

There is a possible burial for Jane Close in Baltonsborough on 12 August 1848 (born 1763).

Would value help on this.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: JANE COLMER (Colerer on marriage ref) born around 1766
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 December 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I’m struggling to find a baptism for a Jane COLMER (transcribed as Colerer on marriage register) who married James CLOSE in St Dunstan’s Church, Baltonsborough, Somerset on 3 June 1789.
The 1841 census shows both James and Jane as born 1766.

I cannot find a baptism for a Jane (using various spellings of her surname) born around 1766 in/near Baltonsborough. The nearest match is a baptism for Jane Comer on 12 Jan 1772, Street, Somerset by John and Betty Comer.

There is a possible burial for Jane Close in Baltonsborough on 12 August 1848 (born 1763).

Would value help on this.

The age on the 1841 would have been rounded down to the nearest 5 years so they could have been  between 75 and 79 when the census was taken. 

When Jane died in 1848 her age was 85
Death
CLOSE, JANE       85 
1848  Dec Quarter in WELLS  Volume 10  Page 325

In 1851 James is age 90

The transcript of the marriage by the local FHS has Janes surname as Colmer
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 December 21 17:12 GMT (UK) »

I cannot find a baptism for Jane but the following for information.

As transcribed on freereg.

Jane COLMERJames CLOSE   Marriage   03 Jun 1789   Somerset   Baltonsborough : St Dunstan : Parish Register
Witness1   John BROMFIELD
Witness2   James ALLEN

This is a burial on freereg, same date but not Jane?

Ann CLOSE   Burial age 85   12 Aug 1848   Somerset   Baltonsborough : St Dunstan : Parish Register

However this is the only GRO?

CLOSE, JANE       85 
GRO Reference: 1848  D Quarter in WELLS  Volume 10  Page 325

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie and Colin for your thoughts. I checked out Freereg and see there are several burials of Colmers in nearby Butleigh in the same period I’m looking for the baptism. Maybe they are siblings of Jane?  There is a marriage in Butleigh of a Suzanna Colmer to James Andrew’s 5 Jan 1760, it states bride’s parish was Butleigh.

I feel there are a few jigsaw pieces missing. Maybe Jane Colmer’s first name is Ann, she is just known as Jane? I presume the transcriptions for Butleigh and Baltonsborough churches are complete and even if Jane’s parents weren’t married she would be registered as a bastard child and the Mary listed.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I would think it is possible that freereg has the name wrong on that burial of Ann in 1848.

The NBI has the same details for Jane as that Ann on freereg.  That information was submitted by
Somerset & Dorset F.H.S.   That entry for Jane agrees with the GRO death registration
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 14:25 GMT (UK) »
There is an Agnes, bastard child of Mary Comer baptised 22 Feb 1764 in Butleigh. Again, wrong name but close to Baltonsborough and year.

Offline teragram31510

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 December 21 18:40 GMT (UK) »
What about the possibility that your Jane Colmer was a descendant of Humphry Colmer and Jane Close who married in Baltonsborough in 1730? I see there is a marriage of an earlier Humphry Colmer and Jane Close in 1716 (all on FreeReg) in Baltonsborough and although I can't see any baptisms for children of either of these couples the likelihood is pretty high that a daughter, granddaughter or great granddaughter would be called Jane. Perhaps looking for a will for a Humphry Colmer might shed some light (three Humphrys of Baltonsborough were buried in Butleigh 1732-1760)?   
Somerset: Poole, Hutchings/Hutchin(s), Harvey/Harvie, Bullen

Offline JamesDMcBust

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 December 21 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi teragram

Thanks for looking at my post and for your suggestions. I've looked at Freereg and there do seem to be quite a few Close and Colmer family members around in Baltonsborough/Butleigh and I can see that it is quite possible that my Jane was a descendant of either of the Humphry Colmer and Jane Close couples you mention. I've searched under 'wills' on Ancestry for the above but can't see anything but will keep looking elsewhere.

On a different angle, I looked for the baptisms of children to James and Jane Close on the Somerset, England Marriage register (trawled through the pages one by one) to check their offspring that way and to see if any were called Humphry but I didn't come across one.

I did find "James" B.B. son of Jane Colmer bap 21 June 1789 Baltonsborough which is strange as the marriage for James Close and Jane Colmer at Baltonsborough was 3 June 1789!

Others were:-
William Close bap 30 May 1790 Baltonsborough (also 29 Nov 1801)
Eliz Close bap 29 Jan 1792 Baltonsborough
Jace Close bap 17 Aug 1794 Baltonsborough
Mary Close bap 7 Apr 1799         "
Carolina Close bap 5 Feb 1804    "
Stephen Close bap 8 Jun 1806    "
Martha Close bap 6 Nov 1808     "

As I can't see Jane Colmer on a baptism list, I will follow up with looking at marriages of a male "Colmer" from 1750 onwards in Baltonsborough and Butleigh and see if anything shows up.

Thanks again for your interest and please respond with any more ideas.