Author Topic: DNA ethnicity logic check / Unexpected result  (Read 10600 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DNA ethnicity logic check / Unexpected result
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Do you share other matches with her?

Added - don’t worry so much about looking for trees - look at shared matches.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Do you share other matches with her?

Added - don’t worry so much about looking for trees - look at shared matches.

It's a bit complicated because I am looking across two different sites (Ancestry & MyHeritage) but, yes, we have shared matches. Those shared matches are clearly from the same family/families too - it's just that some only appear on one of the two sites, and the others appear on the other site... if that makes sense?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 17:14 GMT (UK) »
I am not that knowledgeable re DNA etc nor how My Heritage works but I would try that method with just Ancestry shared matches and then maybe the other site’s matches.

Just to see what turns up - if you can see anything like this
https://www.danaleeds.com/would-you-rather-use-a-worksheet-the-leeds-method/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I am not that knowledgeable re DNA etc nor how My Heritage works but I would try that method with just Ancestry shared matches and then maybe the other site’s matches.

I think I need to do more research on this method before attempting to use it as I feel there is something I am missing about it. Having watched a few videos, I can understand how it could be helpful to group people together into relationship-based matches. But beyond that, I couldn't really see how it could possibly be used to establish relationships to unknown family members - only to group them as a quick and easy way of seeing who relates to who.

As far as I can tell, it's not going to identify the specific (unknown) individual to whom I relate... so it's kind of limited use. I can understand how it might be helpful if you wanted a quick and easy way to cross-reference relationships though!

Offline decor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 18:58 GMT (UK) »

I think I need to do more research on this method before attempting to use it as I feel there is something I am missing about it. Having watched a few videos, I can understand how it could be helpful to group people together into relationship-based matches. But beyond that, I couldn't really see how it could possibly be used to establish relationships to unknown family members - only to group them as a quick and easy way of seeing who relates to who.

As far as I can tell, it's not going to identify the specific (unknown) individual to whom I relate... so it's kind of limited use. I can understand how it might be helpful if you wanted a quick and easy way to cross-reference relationships though!

It's useful in that it can help you locate the common ancestor between you. That's the person you need to work down from to find your biological father. You can build the common ancestor's tree downwards trying to establish the most likely connections to your biological father.
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Andy, if I were you I would take up Helen and Decor’s kind offers to help you put together trees for your matches.

This dna lark can be confusing and complicated and although you seem to have a fair idea what you’re doing, it might help to have some more experienced researchers and a couple more helpers on board.

Please let us know how you get on.  :)

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I'm not trying to add confusion, have you considered uploading to Gedmatch? Although not many have a tree on there, what it does is, You can upload your DNA taken from 23andme, Ancestry, Myheritage etc. It is almost like a universal database of DNA across all the family research websites. It is free (there is a paid option also). But it could be worth trying as you may have a close relative thats tested via 23andme that may have uploaded there. Not to cause confusion though as a downside is if they dont have a tree is trying to establish your relation. The plus side is each match will have their email displayed so you can always email them directly rather than relying on a messenger type system. Could be an option if you get a little stuck.

I am also more than happy to help with DNA and tree building :)

Offline RossGillbanks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Okay, so, as I just stated on my other post: Centimorgans don't really mean a huge amount to me because my knowledge is so limited. Pretty much all I know is that we get roughly 50% of our DNA from each parent.

What I can add to this story is that all of my closest matches come from the afore mentioned strangers in Ireland - and 1 woman in England who also happens to be looking for her real father, and I believe also happens to be connected to the same family in Ireland.

According to our result, we share 7.7% of our DNA (543.2 cM total). The system offered the suggestion of 3 main relationships:

1. Great niece (which is impossible based on what I currently know about my known siblings, though I suppose in this scenario I have to accept there may be more I don't know of);
2. 1st cousin once removed;
3. 2nd cousin.

The other closest relationship was offered as a 1st/2nd cousin with whom I share 5% of my DNA (375 cMs), and then other 2nd/3rd cousins from that family with cMs ranging from 221 cMs - 234 cMs). Those individuals, I believe, are either all siblings or cousins.

Does that mean anything to anyone here!?!? Any tips would be appreciated because I am clearly out of my depth here. *facepalm*

Could also be a half aunt at 543.2 cM, or half 1st cousin once removed. My own half aunt matches me at a slightly higher cM but its very close.

Offline AndyH81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 08 December 21 11:27 GMT (UK) »
I'm not trying to add confusion, have you considered uploading to Gedmatch? Although not many have a tree on there, what it does is, You can upload your DNA taken from 23andme, Ancestry, Myheritage etc. It is almost like a universal database of DNA across all the family research websites. It is free (there is a paid option also). But it could be worth trying as you may have a close relative thats tested via 23andme that may have uploaded there. Not to cause confusion though as a downside is if they dont have a tree is trying to establish your relation. The plus side is each match will have their email displayed so you can always email them directly rather than relying on a messenger type system. Could be an option if you get a little stuck.

I am also more than happy to help with DNA and tree building :)

Yeah, I tried that - but it didn't really reveal anything to me that the other sites hadn't already. Plus I found the data really messy to look at, so I just deleted it!