Author Topic: Marjorie Gibson (b 1911 – d 1990) and her husband Alfred 1939 E&W Register  (Read 1218 times)

Offline olympus593

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi everyone. Rainy day here so thought I would do a bit of family tree research.

Inquiry 1 - Millicent Gertrude Gibson (b 1921 – d 1984)

I am trying to find Millicent Gertrude Gibson (b 1921 – d 1984) on the 1939 England and Wales Register. I have Ancestry but have never been able to find her.

What I do know:

Millicent Gertrude Gibson (born in Northumberland in 1921 – died in Vancouver, Canada in 1984). Millicent married Joseph Andrew O'Hara in July 1944. Millicent was one of the daughters of Arthur Gibson (b 1883 – d tbc) and Millicent Catherine Laing (b 1888 – d 1931).

In the 1939 England and Wales Register Arthur is living at 15 Huntilee Cottage, Stoke-On-Trent with his wife Elizabeth Lucy Gibson, nιe Heath (b 1909 – d 1984), his son Arthur Frear Gibson and wife Violet as well as their daughter Beryl (b 1939 – d 1941).

Extra information and challenge:

Millicent’s daughter told me that Millicent was sent away for schooling at about age 7, we do not know why but I know that the Gibson’s were not wealthy people so it’s a bit of a mystery. Arthur worked as a Clerk of Works for most of his life.

I believe Millicent was visited at school when she was sent away (c 1927) by a lady called Gertrude Atkinson who I believe was born in very roughly 1865.

In 1911 her parents, Arthur and Millicent, were living at 192 Trewhitt Road Heaton Newcastle On Tyne. 1915 her parents are living in Tooting, London. By 1928 they are living in Harrow, London. I cannot find them in between 1915 and 1928. Looking forward to 1922 census!

Inquiry 2 - Marjorie Gibson (b 1911 – d 1990) - Now Solved Thank You!

I am trying to find Marjorie Gibson (b 1911 – d 1990) and her husband Alfred on the 1939 England and Wales Register. I have Ancestry but have never been able to find them.

Marjorie married Alfred Ernest Horwood (b 1907 – d 1959); Alfred served in the Royal Airforce during the 1920s and I believe Marjorie was a nurse. Marjorie and Alfred got married in September 1937 in Brentford, Middlesex and later went on to live in Ealing, London. As far as I know they did not have any children.

Marjorie was one of the daughters of Arthur Gibson (b 1883 – d tbc) and Millicent Catherine Laing (b 1888 – d 1931).

They did travel abroad during their lifetimes so it’s possible they went abroad shortly after the wedding which may explain why I have been unable to find them but it’s always good to run it past others as I could be missing something.

Look forward to your replies and appreciate you taking the time to read my inquiry. Thanks!
Hillyer - Combe Down, Bath, England.
Gibson - Foston on the Wolds, Yorkshire, England.
Ball - Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire, England.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marjorie Gibson (b 1911 – d 1990) and her husband Alfred 1939 E&W Register
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 12:08 GMT (UK) »
There's a Marjorie Horwood at 77 Parkfield Road, Ealing, with 3 Solomons (Fannie, Jack and Emily).

Born 2 April 1911. There's a note "RAF LAC 370121" which might refer to her husband.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Yes that's Alfred's RAF number
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline olympus593

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you @ShaunJ That is certainly the person I am looking for. Alfred's RAF number matches the one listed in the 1939 Register. Well done and great find!

I am not sure where Alfred was but as he was in the RAF he may have been on base or away on maneuvers etc.

I will post another request in a separate post for Marjorie's sister as I had no luck finding her either.

Thank you everyone!

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Millicent was born late 1890 to a mother named Brown?
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline olympus593

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Millicent was born late 1890 to a mother named Brown?

Hi Alan. I am afraid that is not a relative but thank you for taking an interest in my post. I will create a separate post about Millicent in a few days time as I think it warrants a new thread. Thanks!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Birth Sep qtr 1921   
Gibson    Millicent G    mmn Laing   
Newcastle T.    10b   60

She married in 1944 Newton Abbot reg district and is in Ealing in 1953

If she has died recently or out of the country then she could still be blacked out on the 1939 register. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 17:55 GMT (UK) »
I had meant the mother Millicent who you said was born 1888...i don't see that on the gro but there is a Millicent Laing born to a Brown in 1890...but if that is not a relative then my apologies.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 December 21 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Millicent and her husband Arthur and two daughters went to the USA in 1949  (record on Ancestry)

They do appear to have returned to the North West London area at some point before 1953 though.

ADDED They went back to the USA October 1954

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk