Author Topic: Marriage of Hugh Fegan and Mary Morgan, ca. 1809? Southtown  (Read 402 times)

Offline NicolaasMars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage of Hugh Fegan and Mary Morgan, ca. 1809? Southtown
« on: Thursday 09 December 21 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find the marriage of Hugh Fegan and Mary Morgan. This couple has the following children, all baptized RC in parish Kilbroney, Co. Down:
Peter bp. 11-12-1808
John bp. 02-06-1811
Eleanor bp. 07-06-1813
Arthur bp. 28-09-1815
Patrick bp. 18-02-1821
Catherine bp. 10-08-1823.
At the first baptism, the mother is Mary Morgan. In later baptism, she is given as Mary Fegan. Does this mean that the couple was not yet married when Peter was born?
Other information about the parents is also welcome.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Hugh Fegan and Mary Morgan, ca. 1809? Southtown
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 21 17:44 GMT (UK) »
no it means that is her maiden surname
look at the other entries on the page they are all similar https://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000633277#page/11/mode/1up
if you look across at the other page there is an illegitimate birth on April 6th of Patrick natural son of
Similarly in 1823 there is an illegitimate birth clearly identified on the same page.

Kilbroney registers commence 1808 so you will not find parents marriage https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0450 the neighbouring parish registers start later.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 December 21 18:50 GMT (UK) »
Or Mary Morgan died and Hugh remarried a Mary Fegan. Can you find that marriage, if it exists? It would have been after the birth of Peter.

None of the other marriage mates that I can see on the page with John's baptism share the same last name, so, to me at least, it looks like the priest was recording maiden names of the wives. which the Kilbroney register usually did if I remember right.  Meaning that Hugh's wife at the time was Mary Fegan.

I might be wrong.

See if you can find a second marriage for Hugh, and much less likely a burial for Mary Morgan Fegan - the burials recorded the woman under her married name - again if I remember right - if they recorded it at all.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 21 19:05 GMT (UK) »
I didn't find a marriage for Hugh Fegan from 1809 to 1811 in Kilbroney parish. But the theoretical Mary Fegan may have been from another parish. They would have married in her parish, not his.
I know Kilkeel parish registers start later as jon_ni pointed out.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 December 21 19:11 GMT (UK) »
there isn't a marriage entry between Peter & John. There are a number of Fegans eg baptism 29 Jan 1811 of Mary, daughter of Patrick Fegan & Saragh Fegan so another possibility to consider is Peter is not a sibling, rather the son of another couple.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 December 21 19:19 GMT (UK) »
there isn't a marriage entry between Peter & John. There are a number of Fegans eg baptism 29 Jan 1811 of Mary, daughter of Patrick Fegan & Saragh Fegan so another possibility to consider is Peter is not a sibling, rather the son of another couple.
Yes ! Possibly more than one Hugh Fegan in Kilbroney. Probably 2 or 3, when you think about it.

Offline NicolaasMars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 December 21 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Help! (I am a Dutch amateur genealogist, trying to piece together the ancestry of my daughter-in-law, who is of Irish descent, and finding Irish genealogy quite hard, with the paucity of details on the baptism and marriage records.) Any suggestions how I should/could make progress?

Nicolaas

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 December 21 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Quick reply off the top of my head. If you've worked backward to the family you mentioned, then you are as far back as you are probably  going to get. And if you've found the parish registers then you have probably found the civil registers, which start only in 1865 for Catholics. the only 2 censuses surviving are 1901 and 1911.

There are a few more resources on line for NI than for the republic right now. The images of the  Valuation revision books will help you trace the land tenant between Griffith's valuation (abt 1865) down to 1930 or so. You can usually match them up with a 1901 family. and compare them to the death records to see when the land changed hands -  not always from father to son, but often. Until they could own the land, at least.

and a will index and some images are also online.
start here for both.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/campaigns/public-record-office-northern-ireland-proni

here for the Valuation Revision books
https://apps.proni.gov.uk/Val12B/Search.aspx

about 1834 or so was the Tithes Applotment books. images of them for NI are online also, at least the ones I needed in Kilbroney. I don't know where they are - someone on here will.

here for the civil reg, in case you don't have it
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

spelling search is not really too fuzzy. It might find Fegan for Fagan but it might not. And there are probably half a dozen ways to spell that name. you might have to try a few.

Offline NicolaasMars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 December 21 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, oldohiohome! That will keep me busy for a while. I doubt the ancestors I am looking for owned land; several of the children went to England, to work in the Liverpool docks. Not very wealthy, I expect.