Author Topic: Thomas Valentine died Dec 1858 . Who bought headstone  (Read 1425 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Thomas Valentine died Dec 1858 . Who bought headstone
« on: Monday 13 December 21 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all . I asked a simalar request many years ago but go no response . My gt.gt. Grandad Thomas Valentine of West Acre Norfolk drowned or was killed in the River Nar at Pentney on Dec 6th 1858 . I have his inquest report and though it was announced accidental drowning the family were bought up believing he was murdered after a night out drinking . He was buried in the churchyard of West Bilney and his headstone is still there . Could some kind soul help me find who bought the headstone as it seems rather larger than the family would normally have been able to afford . Thanks in advance . I am happy to connect with any Valentines , Rust , Hammond or Codling . All names from the area . Thanks , Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Valentine died Dec 1858 . Who bought headstone
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 December 21 22:22 GMT (UK) »
I think you have to be realistic here.  How can you establish who paid for a headstone 163 years ago?  These were private transactions between an (unknown) stonemason & friends/relatives of the deceased.

A receipt would have been issued at the time but in the absence of any documentation it's pure guesswork.

Have you made any enquiries with the churchyard to establish if permission was required to erect a headstone?  If so - any records showing who applied?

Even if they are able to provide those answers - it doesn't prove who actually paid for it as I doubt the churchyard would have been interested in the financial side
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 December 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I will look into the church records and maybe contact their historian , but in my London research I have found in several graveyards my relatives buried in Kensal  Green 1842 where they tell you every detail , price , purchaser, size , bricks , depth , people buried and how deep . I was wondering if they did the same in Norfolk . Thanks for hints , Fred ,
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 December 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1851 entry - he was a gamekeeper.  If his parents were Thomas & Sarah they are next door to each other & his father was a farmer of 132 acres.   

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 December 21 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Oh , yes that’s him . I didn’t know about his father owning land ,,,,, I will check dates as father may have had money enough . I have always thought the family was generations of agriculture labourers. Thank you . Back to my research . Fred

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 02:13 GMT (UK) »

Do you have an image of the headstone?

Was it placed at the time of his death......or years later?. The style of inscription might suggest an age.

Is his the only death recorded on the headstone?

What exactly is the inscription?

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 02:37 GMT (UK) »
I haven’t seen it in years but I will look online and see if I can for find it on the west bilney churchyard photos . I believe it only had his name.. I will check ,Thanks Fred .

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Oh , yes that’s him . I didn’t know about his father owning land ,,,,,

The census does not say that he owned the land, he was possibly a tenant farmer.  Did his father leave a will
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 08:28 GMT (UK) »
I found the headstone online but it is illegible . I wrote to a interest group which may have known the inscription but email bounced . I will keep looking thanks , Fred .