Author Topic: Mousecroft Brick works / William Mollart and Joseph Boon Harding  (Read 718 times)

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mousecroft Brick works / William Mollart and Joseph Boon Harding
« on: Tuesday 14 December 21 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I am currently researching the Harding side line of my family and their possible works in the mid/late 1800's. 

William Mollart Harding (1827-1905) and Joseph Boon Harding (1829-1898), both sons of Wingfield Harding (1793-1858).  I'm also aware of daughter Frances Mollart Pidduck (nee Harding / 1825-1885) who, with her husband, ended up in Southport and took over and ran what appears to be a successful Ironmongery business on Lord street (but I digress!)

I am aware of their the Harding's involvment in the pottery industry at Globe Pottery (Harding & Cockson) and then later New Hall Works (Cockson & Hardings).  This seems reasonably well documented, however its what they get up to elsewhere that's peaked my interest (mostly because of a road name  ;D)

The works of interest is Mousecroft Brickworks, Hanley.  There is a reasonable amount of detail from 1890ish onwards of E Hampton and sons and an alternative name of Eastwood Firebrick and Marl Works, but I have seen evidence in the 1866 OS map that the works existed earlier than Hampton's and appears undocumented!

I see in the 1881 census, William Mollart Harding lived at a property called Mousecroft House with his family which I later discovered could have been off Bower Street.  Side note: I have an unproven theory that its known today as Westcroft House on the corner between Harding Street and Bower Street, which is now a Nursing home (but I could be very wrong on this... and yes I contacted them to see if I could get anything from them history wise - they were unaware - shame!)

I am curios about 'Harding Street' or 'Harding Road' (its now known as Harding Road with a YMCA directly above the old works).  The road itself partly exists in 1866 OS map un-named (could be due to scale), however by 1898 appears extended/better defined and named.  It makes me think this is a (albeit rather tenuous) hat tip/acknowledgement of individuals named Harding?!

I have posted a timeline below with some links of what I have gathered so far about this works (as I say, there is some about their pottery works which I have excluded from this timeline to avoid muddying the water).  In most of the map links, Mousecroft Brickworks can be seen in the top right of the map, but 1 or 2 might be top middle-ish.

Thanks!
Harding/Jones/Walters/Coates in Stoke on Trent
Calderbank/Baxendale/Swift/Massey in Chorley and Standish

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mousecroft Brick works / William Mollart and Joseph Boon Harding
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 21:01 GMT (UK) »
PS - i'm updating the timeline above each time I find a new bit of info.

~1832 -    Hargreaves’ map of 1832 illustrates the nature of early development along this stretch of the canal. A small number of buildings are shown on the canal to the north-west of Joiners
Square and, although none are identified, they may include a brick works (Mousecroft) and
possibly a mill (Westwood Mill) that are depicted on later maps. A colliery is also shown a
short distance to the east of the Caldon in 1832, apparently connected to the waterway by a
light rail link.  https://www.stoke.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/437/caldon_canal_conservation_area_appraisal.pdf

1851 -    William Mollart Harding listed as occupation Potters Clerk living at Booden Brook Cottage, Shelton with family (father)
   Joseph Boon Harding listed as occupation Potters Clerk living at Booden Brook Cottage, Shelton with family (father)

1861 -    William Mollart Harding listed as occupation China & Earthenware living at 212 Waterloo Road, Burslem with family
   Joseph Boon Harding listed as occupation China & Earthenware living at 4 Mollart(?) Street with family

1866/1877 - OS Map (https://maps.nls.uk/view/101596085) indicates Mousecroft Brick Works - small  No Harding Street

1871 -    William Mollart Harding listed as occupation Brick Manufacturer living at 20 Victoria Street, Shelton with family
   Joseph Boon Harding  listed as occupation Brick Manufacturer and farmer living in Clayton with family

1880 - Newspaper advert in Staffordshire Sentinel 05 August 1880 - "Apply, 1, Hough ton-street, Hanley. Vacant. WANTED, a good SLOP BRICK MAKER at W. and J. Harding's, Mousecroft Brick Works, Hanley." (located on https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

1881 -    William Mollart Harding listed as occupation Brick Manufacturer and living at Mousecroft House with family.  Later identified as being off Bower Street (see 1892)
   Joseph Boon Harding listed as occupation as Brick Manufacturers Agent living in Clayton with family

1891 -    William Mollart Harding listed as occupation Commercial Clerk and living at 9 Mayer Street, Hanley with family
   Joseph Boon Harding listed as occupation as <unable to read> in Clayton with family

1879 -    E Hampton & Sons, Eastwood Brick and Marl Works advert seen.

1892 -    Copyhold messuage and premises called Mouse Croft.House situate in Bower Street, Hanley. (https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/43bf4301-15a3-4604-91bd-2941803929c1 - NOT ORDERED)

1896 -    E Hampton & Sons listed as operating Eastwood and Mousecroft Fire-brick and Marl Works, Hanley - https://www.brocross.com/Bricks/Penmorfa/Pages/england10.htm

1898 -    OS Map (https://maps.nls.uk/view/101596082 | https://maps.nls.uk/view/115471095) indiciated Mousecroft Brock Works.  Harding Street is seen

1901 -    William Mollart Harding listed as occupation Commercial Clerk at Iron works(??) and living at 9 Mayer Street, Hanley with family

1907 - E Hampton & Sons, Eastwood and Mousecroft Firebrick and Marl Works advert seen.

1922 to 1923 - OS Map (https://maps.nls.uk/view/115471098) shows extensive works.  Eastwood Firebrick and Marl Works and Mousecroft Firebrick and Marl Works.  Harding Street is seen

1924 -    E Hampton & Sons Listed operating

1937 -    OS Map (https://maps.nls.uk/view/115471101).  Eastwood Firebrick and Marl Works and Mousecroft Firebrick and Marl Works.  Harding Road is seen

1940 -    Disappeared/Closed/No longer operating?

1945 to 1947 - OS Map (https://maps.nls.uk/view/101596073) indicates Eastwood Firebrick and Marl Works.  Mousecroft name no longer shows.  Harding Street is seen

~1950 -    The aforementioned Eastwood Works (PRN 30651) comprised two sites to either side of
Clifford Street. By 1950 the southern factory had expanded to encompass the adjacent
Mousecroft brick works, first shown on Hargreaves’ map of 1832. The Eastwood Works
persisted into the latter half of the 20th century, but has now been demolished; the southern
factory site is now occupied by residential properties. https://www.stoke.gov.uk/download/downloads/id/437/caldon_canal_conservation_area_appraisal.pdf

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 December 21 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Linked proved... in 1880 (see update to timeline above - advert in Staffordshire Sentinel 05 August 1880

"WANTED, a good SLOP BRICK MAKER at W. and J. Harding's, Mousecroft Brick Works, Hanley"

We have the name and site location!

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 21 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Just a quick update to say I've not abandoned this thread/research and will update the above timeline which has grown extensively I am best exporting my word document and attaching it once done!

I have around 300 news articles between the china works, brick works, Southport (Pidduck family) and a few other's, however I'm timing my subscription to the right moment to get 'bang for my buck' - 3 free articles only gets you so far  ;D

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 21 13:50 GMT (UK) »

I see in the 1881 census, William Mollart Harding lived at a property called Mousecroft House with his family which I later discovered could have been off Bower Street.  Side note: I have an unproven theory that its known today as Westcroft House on the corner between Harding Street and Bower Street, which is now a Nursing home (but I could be very wrong on this... and yes I contacted them to see if I could get anything from them history wise - they were unaware - shame!)

Thanks!
Walking the '91 Census it runs -

Mousecroft Cottages  No. 21
Bower Street  Nos. 1 - 27
Stoke Fields  No. 37 Mousecroft House
Bower Street  Nos. 24 - 2
Houghton Street No 19

Looking at Bower Street on Streetview, Westcroft House is perfectly positioned to "fit" Mousecroft House.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 December 21 14:55 GMT (UK) »
"Stoke Fields" intrigued me. It appears it is that area north of the Cauldon Canal on the '66-'77 (pub '89) map. Shown as "Hanley Park" on the '98 map.

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 December 21 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks
I had not even considered hunting through the other census material either side to see if anything more could be gained! 

Thanks for your insight and thoughts, its added further weight to the thought that 'Westcroft House' as it is today was formally known as Mouse croft house (granted, highly modified, and I've noticed at least 2 houses behind it have had their doors bricked up at some point suggesting Westcroft have punched through)

I have sent Staff archives an email about the copyhold messuage paperwork that is held with them to see if I can grab a copy.

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 December 21 19:06 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01r4x/  A little drawing of the brick works.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline SplanK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 January 22 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - that site has been great to help with Harding and Cookson / Cookson and Harding pottery business but does not have the complete history of Mousecroft.  My intention is to send the site owner my notes so it can be added if its of interest :)

The Copyhold messuage came through yesterday - darn copyright restrictions prevent me posting the original, and I dare say I might get into trouble with posting my (almost) full transcribed version however the bit of interest is about the positioning of the property - or properties... however picking out key bits with interpretation (its full of solicitor speak!)

My reading of this document further adds weight that Westcroft house (pre extension) *WAS* Mousecroft house, and that there maybe additional property/land...

House along with outbuildings, yard, garden, land and contents belong to "Mouse Croft House".

It describes the property having a frontage to Bower Street of 78 feet 3 inches, and to Harding Street 47 feet

It goes in to say Containing about 725 square feet

When looking on google maps and using the measure function, those measurements perfectly plot out Westcroft House site pre-extension.  I guess the square footage is either a measurement of the amount of land the property sits on, or takes into account the 1st floor.

Further reading it starts to seem to describe a 2nd property or plot of land but i'm not sure.... Land as part of a Close called "The Far Mousecroft" containing about 590 square yards, having a frontage to Bower Street of 20 yards and to Harding Street 15 yards and bounded on the remaining side of the other part of the said close. - that's where my mind goes to mush.... how can it describe 2 properties essentially on the corner to the same streets, unless i'm missing something - maybe describing the rear of Mousecroft House and that "Far Mousecroft" is the a small ally behind Bower Street  houses?

More reading Copyhold land having frontage to Bower Street of 15 yards and extending in depth 20 yards and [a bit of text unreadable to me] approx 300 square yards, bounded on its western side by the 'last mentioned' premises, plus on its eastern side by premises now of the late Mathew Henry Harrison

I think that's describing a property on the other side of the road, or maybe even adjoined to Mousecroft House?