Author Topic: Queensland 1920s, Cargoon, Pentland via Townsville  (Read 201 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Queensland 1920s, Cargoon, Pentland via Townsville
« on: Thursday 16 December 21 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I have Wilfrid Eagles Marsden living at this address in 1923. (He wrote to an English newspaper.) I have also found his emigration to Australia in 1919. I also know he was back in England by 1939.

1. I have checked the two big genealogy record sites and also the Australian Newspapers Online site through the National Library of Australia but found nothing except these two items. Obviously it would be absolutely wonderful if anyone can find any reference to him in Queensland.
2. However, if there isn't any documentation (and even if there is) are there any Queensland members who can tell me anything about Cargoon, Pentland via Townsville? I'd very much like to know what Wilfrid was doing and what the place was like.

All help very much appreciated!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Queensland 1920s, Cargoon, Pentland via Townsville
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 December 21 13:20 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to Ancestry, he appears in the 1925 Qld electoral roll as Wilfred Eric Marsden - address Cargoon - occupation book keeper.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 December 21 13:28 GMT (UK) »
There is a place called Pentland west of Townsville (check Google maps).

I found mention of “Cargoon draughts” on Trove. Presumably draught horses?

I would therefore guess that Cargoon is a property near Pentland.

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much! I presume the 'draughts' would be horses reared on the property? I've had a little look on Google this afternoon and saw horsebreaking at Cargoon mentioned. I would still very much like to know what life would be like on a 'station' like this in the 1920s, so if anyone can enlighten me please let me know. I'm in the UK if it isn't already obvious!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 21 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Life out there would not have been easy.  :) Harsh conditions - drought, dust, floods …. I could only guess at the specifics.

I am wondering why he only appeared on the electoral roll in one year - 1925. I also wonder what a book keeper was doing on a horse property. Doing their books, or some other kind of work?

As it was a remote area, he likely would have “lived in”, but whether that was for only a short time or long term it’s hard to know without being able to trace his movements.

Do you know anything more about him? Did he return to the UK?

You say you have his immigration in 1919. Does that tell you where he is headed, what work he will undertake etc?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 21 22:13 GMT (UK) »
A bookkeeper was a significant role on many rural stations in  NSW from the Land Reforms of the 1860s until at least 1950s.     Why?  Well ... often the bookkeeper was the only one with any financial knowledge - bank loans, letters of credit, cash on hand for monthly wages, annual wool or wheat cheque etc.  The role often including far more than just accounts payable/receiveable: 
a) Purchasing Officer - monthly or six weekly trips for dry groceries etc
b) Pedigree Book Keeper - breeding stock, knowing a Prize Ram by looking at it
c) School teacher - until the children of the Grazier were old enough to be sent away to Boarding School
and many other significant roles - often because the Book Keeper's skills meant HE was the one with formal education to matriculation levels... so he could : read, write, add up, subtract, multiply and divide in pounds, shillings, pence and in stones, pounds, ounces. 

JM -  ADD even in 1950s, I was taught by a book keeper how to do Long Division of LSD by LSD - thankfully decimal currency arrived 14 February 1966.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 December 21 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Cargoon Station  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/123610333 Queensland Times etc 3 Sept 1867

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/254574293 Albury Banner 6 Jan 1888  Cattle sent from Cargoon Station, Basalt River Qld to Bourke  NSW - that's very possible in that era - see the article 6 July 1888 from     SMH  https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13690614

1911 death of a Pioneer, a former owner of Cargoon Station https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/97426831 Western Star3 May 1911

1925 confirming Cargoon Station location
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/20912424 Brisbane Courier 20 Jan 1925

1929 Mixed Cattle from Cargoon Station to Victoria Station (that's a huge task)
Townsville Bulletin 7 Aug 1929  ADDing the link now   :): https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60244174

Trove search engine is freely available here: https://trove.nla.gov.au/ 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 December 21 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Those links give excellent information about Cargoon Station JM.  :)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 December 21 05:01 GMT (UK) »
And here we have it:

https://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-574759975/view

Added: well that didn’t take us to where I intended. Sorry about that.

An explanation which I hope will help you find it:

Zoom in till you see Townsville on the coast (name is written in green), then scroll left till you hit Pandanus Creek (written in blue italics) then scroll straight down past Wanda Vale, and you will come to Cargoon. A regular map might be needed to help you find Townsville before you move on to the station map.

Ideally someone cleverer than me will be able to give a link directly to Cargoon on the station map.

Added: looking again on the station map, the station just west of Cargoon is Reedy Springs. You can see this place on a modern map.