Author Topic: Bastardy Bonds - George Norton baptised 1682  (Read 1417 times)

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
Bastardy Bonds - George Norton baptised 1682
« on: Friday 17 December 21 08:28 GMT (UK) »
St John Parish record in Thanet has the following baptism entry:
1682:  Norton aka Phillpott - April 9th baptised George son of Sarah Norton Widow
by Roger Phillpott a married man the supposed father

Where would I find Bastardy Bonds, that may have information or entries on this family?

I'm trying to work out if Geroge took on his mother's last name, Norton. If so then it's most likely the George Norton I'm looking for is here:... as during this period I can't find any other George Norton's except for his direct descendants.

https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/M4M4-RQV

This George Norton (from FamilySearch) in his Will 1765 leaves two Messuages and money to his grandchildren of his late son John and surviving daughter Elizabeth. The Philpott clan from this time and area appeared wealthy and may have passed some onto Geroge?

Here is part of the Will transcription of George Norton from 1765:
This is the last Will and Testament of me George Norton of the Parish of Saint Lawrence in the Isle of Thanet in the Country of Kent Yeoman. I being of sound and disposing mind & memory. First I give and devise my Grand Children, Thomas Norton, John Norton, George Norton and Sarah Norton, the Children of my late son John Norton deceased. All those my two Messuages or Tenements with the Outhouses, Building Grounds, Hereditaments and Appurtenances to them respectively belonging and in the Parish of aforesaid at or near a certain place there called Robsack.  One of which Messuages is now in the Occupation of John Duke and the other is untenanted. To hold to them my said Grand Children and their Heirs and Assigns forever as Tenants in common and not as joint Tenants. Also I give and bequeath to all my said Grand Children above named equally to be divided between them all my own wearing Apparel of all sorts and all such other wearing Apparels as well of my late son’s as otherwise I shall be possessed of at my Decease. Also I give to all my Grand Children above named equally to be divided between them all my ready Money all such other Norton monies as shall be any way due or belonging to me at my Decease.....

NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bastardy Bonds - George Norton baptised 1682
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 December 21 11:13 GMT (UK) »
There are some indexed on Maureen Rawson's website

http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~mrawson/genealogy/basteast.html

but I can't see anything for Norton or Phillpott
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 December 21 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Wayne

Bastardy Bonds, per se, didn't come into being until the early 1800s.  Prior to that time you have to investigate parish chest records for Bastardy Examinations and financial bonds, which may be by the mother, any member of her family such as father, mother, uncle, etc., and/or by the alleged father, if found liable.  The examinations brought in both the mother and the alleged father, if he could be apprehended, for questioning about the circumstances of the conception and the birth.  But, these, too, do not become plentiful until the early to mid-1700s.

In Churchwarden's Accounts you may find a mention of a payment to the Sheriff to bring the alleged father in for questioning, for the mother's lying-in expenses, transporting the mother and child, and any payments received from the father, a portion of which was paid to the parish, etc..   Constables records, overseers of the poor, and the minute books of the vestry of the parish may hold additional information.

The only time a woman's illegitimate child was made known to the sessions courts was if the woman was jailed per the Act of 1609/10, or if the alleged father denied responsibility.  Then the woman was taken to court by the parish to determine the father and ultimate responsibility for the financial burden of supporting the child.

You might want to take a look at these two Wills:
Will   Philpot, Philpott   Roger   St. Peter in Thanet   made 1717   proved 1718   PRC/17/83/25f   PRC/16/372 P/1

Will   Philpott   Roger   Ramsgate   made 1739   proved 1742   PRC/32/62/98   PRC/31/212 P/2   On board HMS Superb   

which are both available from the Canterbury Cathedral archives or via FamilySearch premium website or via the Kent Library and Archives.

Just in case you don't have this, the marriage license for George Norton reads:
Norton, George, of St. Lawrence in Thanet, bachelor and Sus. Neame of Ash, spinster.  At. St. Mildred Canterbury or Ash.  November 11, 1713.

There is another Norton - Jeremiah - living in St. Peter Thanet at the time of his marriage in 1721.  So, there were other Norton families in Thanet. 

Have you looked at the burials right up to the time of his marriage to make sure this George Norton wasn't buried as a child?

I hope this helps somewhat.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline IsobelB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 December 21 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Bastardy records / court session records can normally be viewed at the local records office, I managed to view the 1880 bastardy record information for my Grandfather at Lancashire records office.

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 December 21 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you bearkat for the link and thank you Zacktyr for the information :)

During the late 1700s to early 1800 this George born out of wedlock to Sarah Norton nee Roberts was the only entry I could find for the area. All the other George Norton's in Thanet after this particular birth were the descendants of the George from the Will (my line).

Most likely this will be the correct Geroge, but I'm trying to find that concrete piece of evidence that proves correct or incorrect. The other possibility is he moved from another area to live in Thanet.

George appeared to have property in Thanet (some he owned outright) and he seemed to be involved in St Lawrence Parish. His signature/name appears on some parish records not personally relating to a BDM for him or his children. And the earliest record for his owning property I've come across so far is from the 1734 Kent publication "The Poll for Knight of the Shire" and again in 1754 where it mentions his tenant John Duke.

https://www.google.com.au/books/edition/The_Poll_for_Knights_of_the_Shire_to_Rep/zz1cAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22george+norton%22+%2B+St+Lawrence+Kent+1734&pg=PA166&printsec=frontcover

https://www.google.com.au/books/edition/The_Poll_for_Knights_of_the_Shire_to_Rep/F6NYAAAAcAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22george+norton%22+%2B+St+Lawrence+Kent+1754&pg=PA104&printsec=frontcover

And this could be him here from 1724 (on the bells)
https://www.google.com.au/books/edition/A_Tour_Through_the_Isle_of_Thanet/HnhbAAAAQAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22george+norton%22+%2B+thanet+Kent&pg=PA66&printsec=frontcover

Either George purchased his own land or it was inherited. 

The burial for Jeremy Norton (husband of Sarah Norton nee Roberts) records him as a poor man. So if this was George's Stepfather then a possible inheritance likely wouldn't have come from Jeremy or Sarah.

Which leaves the possibility for Roger Phillpott (George's supposed father). The Phillpot families around Thanet during this period were very well off.

Here's the Will I transcribed for Roger Philpott of 1718 a while back, which rules this one out. Roger mentions his wife as Mary (this will be Mary Reade).
https://sites.rootsweb.com/~mrawson/phil1718.html

The Roger that seems to be a supposed father of George marries Hannah Reade. but it'll be interesting to find out more about the Philpott Roger probate from 1742. Not sure if this is the son or another Roger.

The other Probate that came to mind was Susanna Norton 1741. It could be George's half-sister married into wealth and appears not to have had children.

Checked and there is no Georges from Jeremiah, Thanet. 
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/MGDM-X82

All Georges born/buried in Thanet that one baptised 1682 are direct descendants of the George deceased in 1765 (from the Will).

I'll probably need to visit a Family History Centre once they open back up here in Feb for the Vestry Minutes or Church Warden's accounts. It sounds like this is the only access to these types of records.

Thanks again for the information Zacktyr.

EDIT: I just found why George Norton has been turning up in the St Lawrence records. He was listed as a Churchwarden of St Lawrence in 1724.
https://www.google.com.au/books/edition/The_History_and_Antiquities_of_the_Churc/7TFAAAAAYAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22norton%22&pg=PA164&printsec=frontcover
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 December 21 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Bastardy records / court session records can normally be viewed at the local records office, I managed to view the 1880 bastardy record information for my Grandfather at Lancashire records office.
I live in Australia :)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 December 21 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Wayne,

I would be highly tempted to look at other possibilities for George Norton simply because of the fact that he is turning up as a qualified voter in 1734 and 1754.  He would have had to have a lot of money behind him for those days and unless his mother's family was well off, I don't see a single mother of an illegitimate child being able to provide the right financial environment.

To vote for county MPs a man had to own freehold property worth forty shillings per year. This means that it could be let for that amount. Whether it was, in fact, let was irrelevant.  The property he owned had to be capable of producing that much annual income. Although the term 'freehold' original referred only to the type of land tenure one possessed, by the 1700s the term had also taken on considerable implications of social standing.

There is a 40 shillings land value/tax discrepancy due to the 1745 County Elections Act which stipulated that as well a freehold worth at least 40 shillings the land owners also needed to have been assessed for the land-tax (which had been introduced in 1692) and they had to have held the freehold for at least one year.  Two pounds sterling, or 40 shillings, in 1750 is worth £462.03 in 2021.  This is latter amount is calculated based on cost of living so is a purchasing power amount and so does not reflect the amount today without it.
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 December 21 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Zacktyr,
Your advice is invaluable.

I think I'll need to keep digging into George's earliest involvement in St Lawrence Parish (it might give an indication of a move to the area if one happened), Wills (for other names), and the possibility of a deed for George... and also a John Fagg.

George's Will from 1765 was quite detailed and has opened up many avenues.

George in his Will assigns John Fagg to be the guardian and trustee of his grandchildren and Isaac Witherden as the Executor. Isaac was the son-in-law who married George's only surviving daughter Elizabeth.

Will extract:
And I do appoint John Fagg of Ramsgate aforesaid Gentleman the Guardian and Trustee of my said Grand Children or such of them as shall be under Twenty One years of age at my Decease to have the Care Custody Direction and management for their Benefit of what I have herein given to them. And as for and concerning all such other Messuages, Lands and Tenements, Goods, Chattels and Real and personal Estate which I can or may hereby give or dispose of, I give, devise, and bequeath the same and every part to my son in Law Isaac Witherden his Heirs, Executors, Denominators and Assigns. And I do appoint him the said Isaac Witherden Sole Executor of this my Last Will and Testament and do hereby revoke all former Wills by me made.

I haven't worked out where John Fagg fit's into George's direct family yet. He wasn't married to any of the children. Although there was an Indenture (1792) made between George's grandson John Norton and John Fagg for the same property mentioned in George's Will. And was in the same year George's daughter Elizabeth passes.

Indenture extract:
Witnesseth that for one in conversation of the sum of Twenty one Pounds of lawful money of Great Britain to the said John Norton, in Hand, at, or before the sealing and Delivery of these presents well and truly paid by the said John Fagg, this, thereof, whereof the said John Norton both here by acknowledge and thereof and of every part of both acquit, release and discharge the said John Fagg....

.....All that Messuage or Tenement with all, and Singular, the Outhouses, Buildings, Yard, Backside, Garden and Ground, thereunto, belonging and therewith, usually, hold, used and enjoyed, situate, lying, and being in Ramsgate aforesaid, in the said Isle of Thanet and Country of Kent at, or near a certain place, there called or commonly known by the name of Rob-Sack heretofore in the tenure, or occupation of, or of his assigns and now or late in the tenure or occupation of the said John Norton, or of his assigned or undertenants.

It's amazing how much information is available for such a long time ago.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Wayne,

Yes, there is in some cases a large amount of documentary evidence available for Kent.  It's just a matter of ferreting it all out. 

The 21 pounds sterling was quite a handsome payment for property in the 1700s.  So, it would be very interesting to discover how John Norton became possessed of such a valuable piece of land.  I had a quick look at the MIs on the KAS website and found this at Ramsgate:

"331 [4]. Upon a white marble tablet: "In a vault in the churchyard near the southeast corner of this Chancel are deposited the remains of John FAGG, of Ramsgate, gentleman, who died on the 27th day of December 1795 aged 67 years. Also the remains of his Father and Mother, James Fagg, who died on the 6th day of May 1762. Sarah Fagg, who died on the 1st day of February 1755."

I then did a quick check for John Fagg's Will in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury (on Ancestry) and found it.  He makes one bequest as follows:

"Also I give and devise unto SARAH NORTON of Ramsgate aforesaid Widow and to her heirs and assigns forever all that my Messuage or Tenement and premises with the appurt[enance]s situate and being at a certain place called Robsack near the Spread Eagle in Ramsgate aforesaid."

https://www.ancestry.com/imageviewer/collections/5111/images/40611_310119-00245?treeid=&personid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=TEa4375&_phstart=successSource&pId=305688

So, for some reason John Fagg felt compelled to Will that particular property back to the Norton family.  The Will is long - 5 pages more or less.

Best of luck with this research.  It has the feel of a very interesting story.
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner