Author Topic: Adoption records/process Preston 19th century  (Read 283 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption records/process Preston 19th century
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 19 December 21 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Fostering of babies and young children existed in C.19th England. You may occasionally come across a child member of a household on a census whose relationship to head of household was "nurse child" or "foster child".   
Cowban

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption records/process Preston 19th century
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 21 December 21 21:18 GMT (UK) »
One of my gg grandmothers remarried in 1882 following the death of her husband. In 1891 and 1901 the family were all using the stepfather's surname.

In 1903 my g ggf married, using his birth name. His brother had married in 1899 using the stepfather's name. They were witnesses at each other's marriages.

"Foster" children were sometimes those farmed out by the Poor Law Union (Barnardo's ran a similar scheme). The reasoning was that they would fare better in the community than in the Workhouse. The foster parents would receive an allowance for their upkeep, which would be less than they would have costed if kept in the institution. I have come across a household with three such children, all with different surnames.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.