Author Topic: Frederick Dean  (Read 1375 times)

Offline Mr Bish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick Dean
« on: Saturday 18 December 21 06:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
My Great great Grandfather Frederick Dean b c1848 has been hard to nail down on his origins, What I know is that he married Johanna Corbell b 1854 in Cherry Gardens in 1876 , on his Marriage certificate it says he was born in Liverpool and his fathers names was James Dean. Frederick couldn't write and he signed his name with an x , I have found nothing to confirm this, family folklore says Fred spent his early years in the Victorian goldfields. I've come across a Frederick Dean in N.S.W in 1870 who fits the same age who is said to have came out to Aust. aboard the ship called Essex . Can anyone get a hold of this Passenger list to see when he got here and who he travelled with and where he came from ? this would be greatly Appreciated.

Regards
Mr Bish 
Somerset/Australia;  BISHOP, DREW, WHITE
Sussex/Australia;  MOBSBY, MORLEY
Northamptonshire/Australia;  BOOTHEY, WILLIS, HOLLAND
SuffolkAustralia; GRAY,  CORBELL
Derry;  BRADLEY
Cornwall/Australia;  ARTHUR, NOTTLE, PENGELLEY, BRAY
Isle of Wight/Australia:  HARRIS, WOODS, SMITH, CALCOTT, DENHAM, BARNES, BENNETT
BuckinghamshireAustralia:  BLACKWELL
Essex/Australia ;  JOHNSON
Prussia/Australia;  ZEUNERT, THOMAS, DRUDTKE
Mecklenburg/Australia; HINTZ, ROSS, BEESE
Australia DEAN

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Dean
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 December 21 07:13 GMT (UK) »
I've come across a Frederick Dean in N.S.W in 1870 who fits the same age who is said to have came out to Aust. aboard the ship called Essex .
That looks as if it is 1867 voyage for ESSEX, if you are looking at the 1870 criminal record. Frederick’s occupation is recorded as “groom”.
ADDED- I could not see any Dean arriving on any voyage of the ESSEX into Melbourne.

However ….
There is a seven year old Frederick Deane arriving Victoria with his family ,(father named James is an agricultural labourer from Wiltshire), in Jan 1853 onboard STEBONHEATH. It might be worth looking at that record too.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/archive/E28FA191-F1B1-11E9-AE98-A39C9D2AFA57?image=46
This will be the family in the 1851 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGZV-9DR
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 December 21 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Secondary source only  so it needs checking ..

PROV  may have the ESSEX arriving Melbourne 13 Nov 1863.

I  on e reader, so cannot do live link, sorry.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 December 21 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Have not been able to find a Frederick Dean with father James on either the UK 1851 or 1861 census.

I have also not found a birth registration for a Frederick Dean in Liverpool between 1840 and 1855, though there were 7 in the Manchester area, but none that look likely to be your Frederick
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 December 21 21:00 GMT (UK) »
In case you don't have it. The will of Frederick Deane
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSGG-49P1-W?cc=3007557&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3A78JV-F5PZ

There is a seven year old Frederick Deane arriving Victoria with his family ,(father named James is an agricultural labourer from Wiltshire), in Jan 1853 onboard STEBONHEATH.

This could be the death of the mother of this family.
DEATH (Victoria)
Elizabeth  DEAN
Place of birth - WILT
Spouse at death - DEAN, James
Age 55
Parents’ names unknown
Year 1876
Reg. 4269/1876
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Mr Bish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 December 21 23:01 GMT (UK) »

I have looked into Fred and James Deane who came from Wiltshire but when I found Fred on the census he was listed as a scholar and My Fred didn't read or write , I ruled this one out.
    I couldn't find anything to match his birth in Liverpool U.K. either maybe he was born in Liverpool Sydney ? But I think Fred might have told  a few porkies on his Marriage Certificate as none of his sons have James in his name which is rare for the time ( maybe he had something to hide ).
Regards
Mr Bish   
Somerset/Australia;  BISHOP, DREW, WHITE
Sussex/Australia;  MOBSBY, MORLEY
Northamptonshire/Australia;  BOOTHEY, WILLIS, HOLLAND
SuffolkAustralia; GRAY,  CORBELL
Derry;  BRADLEY
Cornwall/Australia;  ARTHUR, NOTTLE, PENGELLEY, BRAY
Isle of Wight/Australia:  HARRIS, WOODS, SMITH, CALCOTT, DENHAM, BARNES, BENNETT
BuckinghamshireAustralia:  BLACKWELL
Essex/Australia ;  JOHNSON
Prussia/Australia;  ZEUNERT, THOMAS, DRUDTKE
Mecklenburg/Australia; HINTZ, ROSS, BEESE
Australia DEAN

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 December 21 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Apart from his X mark on the 1876 marriage in South Australia,  what other evidence do you have that he was not able to write....  I ask this because making their mark does not always point to people not yet knowing how to write....  Clergy could have said 'Sign here' OR Clergy could have said 'Make your Mark here'.   Did the witnesses sign?   Did the bride sign?  Was Frederick the only one to make his X mark... 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 December 21 23:20 GMT (UK) »
I have looked into Fred and James Deane who came from Wiltshire but when I found Fred on the census he was listed as a scholar and My Fred didn't read or write , I ruled this one out.
Not a good enough reason to rule him out, in my opinion. :)
The census shows him as 5 years old and at school. By the end of the following year he was travelling to Australia where he probably never had anymore school education. So this Fred might have had 1 year of school between ages 5 and 6. That is not enough schooling to learn to read and write, especially if one’s parents were not educated. His father James was an agricultural labourer, so quite unlikely that he could read and write.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 December 21 23:29 GMT (UK) »

This could be the death of the mother of this family.
DEATH (Victoria)
Elizabeth  DEAN
Place of birth - WILT
Spouse at death - DEAN, James
Age 55
Parents’ names unknown
Year 1876
Reg. 4269/1876

This record should give a reliable answer to the standard question posed in Victoria... "How Long in the Colony/ies", while it does NOT give the names of her parents, it does name her husband.  I suggest he would have known that answer...  And he would also be able to nominate when and where he married, the names & ages of their then living children and the gender of any who had already succumbed.

The image of that record is downloadable immediately from Vic BDM.  Around $20 Au. 

ADD  they are on special for $15 each at the moment  :)  :)  :)
https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

JM