Author Topic: Meaning of "Base" on Baptismal Record  (Read 1246 times)

Offline iregurl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Meaning of "Base" on Baptismal Record
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 December 21 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the birth of the first son, James 1798, delayed the marriage.

Where did you find James?  I'm looking on the Lancashire parish records and can't find him...  ???

Here it is on familysearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JWV9-WL7?q.anyDate.from=1798&q.givenName=James&q.motherGivenName=Ann&q.motherSurname=Atherton&q.recordCountry=England&q.recordSubcountry=England%2CLancashire

James is recorded as base, which would make sense if the marriage was put off due to the Irish rebellion Rena mentioned.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 December 21 01:08 GMT (UK) »
James is recorded as base, which would make sense if the marriage was put off due to the Irish rebellion Rena mentioned.
Yes, that's possible.
But if Ellen, born base in 1800, belongs to the same Ann Atherton, then who was her father? Another man in the town ?, because if Henry was away doing military things, he may not have popped home to visit his betrothed. Interesting ..... hard to know what was going on. :-\
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline iregurl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 24 December 21 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that's possible.
But if Ellen, born base in 1800, belongs to the same Ann Atherton, then who was her father? Another man in the town ?, because if Henry was away doing military things, he may not have popped home to visit his betrothed. Interesting ..... hard to know what was going on. :-\

I found another Ann Atherton who go married with in a few weeks from the one I'm tracking to a man named Pryer.  Same church, same town.  Maybe she was the mother of one of the children.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 24 December 21 05:19 GMT (UK) »
I found another Ann Atherton who go married with in a few weeks from the one I'm tracking to a man named Pryer.  Same church, same town.  Maybe she was the mother of one of the children.
Aah! Good work. Sounds probable.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 24 December 21 13:53 GMT (UK) »

Ellen was born 15th June 1800. Thomas Farrimond was born 1st January 1801. (Birthdates as transcribed on LAN-OPC). They can't both have been born to the same Ann Atherton. It's a common surname, from the place Atherton, 5 miles from Wigan.
I found the baptisms by using the "Ancestor Search" pages on LAN-OPC, entering a surname, mother's name Ann and selecting 10 miles radius of Wigan All Saints.
Cowban

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 24 December 21 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Provided the dates were given correctly. I've got two in my tree where children collided with each other- one with John born Apr 1805 and Hannah Dec 1805 (no other indications of there being two families) and the other, more pointedly, Sophia Sept 1800 and John Dec 1800 where, crucially, the instructions of Shute Barrington led to the latter records having the father's name, occupation and residence and the mother's name, maiden name, father's name and father's occupation. We speculated that Sophia might have been born in 1799 but the vicar wrote 1800 out of habit.

Offline iregurl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 24 December 21 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Here's a bit more information about the Farrimonds I'm researching.  The father Henry is listed as a Weaver in Pemberton.  His son, Thomas, is listed on the 1841 census as a Carver and Gilder.  In 1861 he is listed as having no occupation and in 1871 he is listed as a landowner. 

Thomas Farrimond married Hannah Gosling from Walton on the Hill, Lancashire. They had two children.

Adelina Farrimond was born in 1830 in Liverpool.  In 1881 and 1891 she is listed as head of the household, unmarried and living with her brother.  She died a spinster and left her estate to her brother.

Thomas Frederick Farrimond was born on May 05, 1832, in Liverpool, Lanc.  He apparently never married and had no children.  However, he had a woman Mary Wilson of Liverpool who apparently lived with him for 20 years as a "visiter". He moved to Chester and became a timber merchant and ran a building company.  He seems to have made his fortune and when he died in 1917 he left his large estate to four men.  Two of them are Morris' and they worked for the railway.  One was the Superintendent of the line and ran the Royal Train for 12 years.