Author Topic: Newbold-upon-Avon BT 2 baptism lookups 1736 and 1738  (Read 425 times)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
Newbold-upon-Avon BT 2 baptism lookups 1736 and 1738
« on: Friday 24 December 21 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for 2 lookups specifically in the Bishop's Transcripts of Newbold-upon-Avon for the following two baptisms:

1.  John Sanders/Saunders/Sanderson on 1 Sep 1736, father John, and,

2.  Elizabeth Sanders/Saunders/Sanderson on 23 Jul 1738, father John.

I have these two baptisms from the original Parish Registers where the mother is recorded as Mary.

However, the Bishops Transcripts for the first child, also named John, baptized during September of 1734 records the mother as Elizabeth.  Later children are recorded with mother Elizabeth in the Parish Registers.  No child named Mary was ever baptised by the father, John.

So, I am attempting to resolve the question if there were two marriages for John or just one.  I have a candidate for the marriage to an Elizabeth in 1733 at Napton-on-the-Hill.

Thank you for any assistance.
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Online QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Newbold-upon-Avon BT 2 baptism lookups 1736 and 1738
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 December 21 16:13 GMT (UK) »
From the image of the Newbold-on-Avon parish register, which is available on Findmypast:

"John Saunders of John & Mary Bap: Sep: 15 (1734)"

There is no mention of an Elizabeth; his mother was Mary. All the baptisms you mentioned have the mother as Mary on the actual image of the register.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 December 21 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Rugby Family History Group have all three baptisms with mother's name given as Mary.
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 December 21 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello Queenie and Emeltom,

Thank you for responding to my post and thank you for your work in this post.  I was hoping that by specifying a look-up in the BTs that I wouldn't need to go into a long explanation.  I already have the information from the PR.  As a crosscheck I always also examine the BTs and, if they exist, the ADs registers.  Sometimes the lesser registers were compiled by a clerk in the parish who better knew the people involved than the local Vicar.  When I was able to access the BTs from the Family History Library, I took an image of the first child but failed to retrieve, or have lost, the images of the remaining children's baptisms.

I was going to attach a comparison of the two entries for the first child, John Saunders, in 1734.  Unfortunately, the "attachments..." doesn't seem to be working for me.  The BT records the mother as Elizabeth.  The PR for last child baptised at Newbold on Avon was also shown with a mother named Elizabeth.  There are no marriages of a John to a Mary at any time anywhere within Warwickshire that would apply to this couple at Newbold on Avon.  None of the marriages I've investigate outside of Warwickshire do not coincide with this couple at Newbold on Avon.  There is a marriage of a John to an Elizabeth in 1733 at Napton-on-the-Hill that fits this couple and further supported by the fact that John's daughter, Ann, was living at Napton-on-the-Hill at the time of her marriage there. 

There is no burial of a Mary at Newbold on Avon who could be the mother that fits the baptism roster of children.

Further complicating this search is the fact that the surname was shown variously as Saunders, Sanders and Sanderson - the true surname.  Evidence of this has been found in two Wills and in one burial where the letters "on" were added in a different hand to the "Saunders" surname.

Hence my request for a specific look-up in the BTs for the two baptisms in 1736 and 1738.
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 December 21 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I was going to attach a comparison of the two entries for the first child, John Saunders, in 1734.  Unfortunately, the "attachments..." doesn't seem to be working for me.

Attachments can’t be posted on RootsChat ‘look-up’ boards.

As far as I can see, the BTs are not accessible online, except by LDS church members (at FamilySearch.org) or at an FHC or LDS-affiliated library.

Other than waiting for an appropriate library to reopen, I think you have two options:

•   seek out an LDS church member who will help with access from home; or
•   email the record office in Warwick for printouts from the microfilmed BTs
https://heritage.warwickshire.gov.uk/enquiries-copying-services/copying-services/1

They will reopen later this week, Covid issues permitting. As you already have the exact dates, it should be a straightforward enough request.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 December 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Bookbox,

Our FHC has reopened but the hours once a week are very slim.  I was hoping there would have been either a member or non-member patron - which I am - on here.  Our public library is also an affiliate so I guess I'll have to schedule another appointment with them for the weekend. 

Have a great day!
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner