Author Topic: Henry Dunstan  (Read 532 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Henry Dunstan
« on: Saturday 25 December 21 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information about Henry Dunstan. In particular about his birth/baptism and direct ancestors - I'd like to know his mother's surname and who his grandparents were.

In the 1841 census he is aged 15, living with James Dunstan, flour miller (43), and Elizabeth (40), whom I take to be his parents, seven siblings, and two servants at Pennancae, Gwennap.

In 1851, aged 25, copper miner, he is living with five of his siblings in 76 Pennance, Gwennap, all said to be born in Perranworthal. I infer that both James and Elizabeth must have died between 1841 and 1851.

In 1853 he marries Elizabeth Ann Ripper (baptised 25 December 1828 in Redruth, parents Daniel Ripper and Elizabeth Pearse), and they have five children.

After the 1861 census, when they were in Redruth, they move to Ulverston, Lancashire, where Henry dies in 1867.

I am struggling with which places are in which parishes.

There's a baptism of Henry Dunstan, parents James and Elizabeth, in Stithians on 18 October 1825, but according to GENUKI Perranarworthal is a parish in its own right, not part of Stithians.

Any suggestions, please?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Dunstan
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 December 21 11:33 GMT (UK) »

In the 1841 census he is aged 15, living with James Dunstan, flour miller (43), and Elizabeth (40), whom I take to be his parents, seven siblings, and two servants at Pennancae, Gwennap.

Baptisms show father James as a miner so he must have become a flour miller just before 1841.

Adelaide Eliza in 1837, residence Pellean Cross
Susan Emily in 1836, residence Perran
Caroline (named Charlotte in 1851) in 1833, residence Perran
Ann in 1829, residence Pellean Cross
Henry in 1826, residence Penlean in Perran
Elizabeth Jane in 1824, residence Pelean in Perran
James in 1822, residence Pellean in Perran
John in 1820, residence Pellean in Perran

Perran is short for Perranarworthall.

Ann, Susan and Adelaide all baptised in the Parish circuit of Perranarworthal, the others all Stithians.

The marriage was possibly in 1820, James is of Wendron and Elizabeth MARTIN of Stithians.

https://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/

Debra  :D

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 December 21 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Debra.

It looks, then, as if some of the children were baptised in Stithians, although they lived all the time at Pellean/Penlean Cross in the parish of Perranarworthal?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 December 21 20:35 GMT (UK) »
modern map of post code of Pelean Cross

https://checkmypostcode.uk/tr37jf#.YcjQVmDP2M8

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb