Author Topic: Help with Medal Rolls Index Card Thomas Barnes  (Read 1445 times)

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Medal Rolls Index Card Thomas Barnes
« Reply #27 on: Friday 31 December 21 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year Everyone!

I'm at a loss to understand what the heading of the column on the Star Medal Roll with 'al.' written below it means - also what does al. mean?

Margaret
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

ARCHIBALD/ADAMS/BROWN/GORDON/WILSON/Midlothian
CADDY/COPPIN/DENITHORNE/GEDYE/GIDDEY/GROWDEN/THOMAS/Cornwall
CAREY,CARRÉ Huguenot/France/Kent/NZ/NSW
CARMICHAEL/GRAHAM/CRAMB/STEWART/Perth
CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
MATTHEWS/Lon/Sry/Oxf/Glouc/NSW
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx
VICCARS/ Lond/Northamps/Hunts

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 31 December 21 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hard to make out the Column header details, but it might refer to Army Order 265 II of 10 August 1917 -- Paragraph 2 (which introduced certain classifications).

If so, the code of "a1" would refer to this. Although the code in the image is "a1". Also, the code appears against non-officers on the same page, as well. So don't quote me !  ;)

(a) those who, having served as officers and being still of military age, have retired, resigned or relinquished their commissions:
(i) after service overseas in the armed Forces of the Crown, on account of disablement or ill-health caused otherwise than by misconduct;

Online Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 31 December 21 21:57 GMT (UK) »
On several of the surrounding pages, there are a few soldiers who didn't serve overseas. The code assigned to them is "a11" -- which probably refers to this:

(ii) after service at Home, and have been medically examined and finally discharged from liability to further military service under sub-section (5) of Section 1 of the Military Service (Review of Exceptions) Act 1917, as permanently and totally disabled, otherwise than from misconduct.

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 31 December 21 22:34 GMT (UK) »
On several of the surrounding pages, there are a few soldiers who didn't serve overseas. The code assigned to them is "a11" -- which probably refers to this:

(ii) after service at Home, and have been medically examined and finally discharged from liability to further military service under sub-section (5) of Section 1 of the Military Service (Review of Exceptions) Act 1917, as permanently and totally disabled, otherwise than from misconduct.

Thanks once again, this makes sense to me - I'm learning slowly.  8)

Margaret  :)
All Census Lookups are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 January 22 05:33 GMT (UK) »

A direct descendant of Thomas, who lives in the United States (who sent the photo) has on her Ancestry family tree only one military source for Thomas - the medal card index for Thomas Barnes, with no explanation. and I am waiting for a reply email from her to confirm my suspicion.

Margaret - has the woman above replied to you yet? It'll be interesting to hear why she feels this Thomas Barnes is also the other chap you mentioned.

Hello everyone,

Hillhurst, I have had a reply today confirming that Thomas Watmough enlisted in WWI under the assumed name of Thomas Barnes, unfortunately she doesn't know why. Nor does she know when or where he received his wounds.  ::)

................The search continues..........Margaret :D

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx

Offline margaret1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 21 January 22 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, it doesn't look like his WW1 service record has survived.

Perhaps the Fusiliers Museum may be able to assist with the MM citation. They do charge for a research service, though. https://www.fusiliermuseum.com/explore/research

I have an ancestor who also was awarded the Military Medal (with Bar, too). His Scottish regimental museum provided me with the MM citation (free of charge).  :)

I received a reply from the Fusilier Museum today. Unfortunately, the Museum doesn't have Thomas's MM citation as almost all of the individual citations have been lost over the years. Details of these short citations which were kept in ledgers were all destroyed in the 1940 London Blitz.

Margaret  :(

CLOUGH/Lancs/Yorks/NSW
CORNWELL/Kent/NSW 
EATON/Lon/NSW    
MALYON/Mdx  
McLEOD/THOMSON/E Lothian
QUINN/Kilkenny
TUCK/HART/Mdx/Esx