Author Topic: RAF Service Record - Jargon  (Read 1064 times)

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Service Record - Jargon
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Just spotted the 21EFTS at the top right of the page. This would be 21 Elementry Flying Training School at RAF Booker, now Wycombe Air Park, and in May 1942 training was started here for the Glider Pilot Regiment. 1GTS formed in April 1941 at RAF Thame.
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Just spotted the 21EFTS at the top right of the page. This would be 21 Elementry Flying Training School at RAF Booker, now Wycombe Air Park, and in May 1942 training was started here for the Glider Pilot Regiment. 1GTS formed in April 1941 at RAF Thame.
You must be psychic!  As you were writing I just discovered 21 EFTS, but according to this site it was located at Stapleford Tawney, which is most likely the same one since it's near Romford.

http://www.airhistory.org.uk/dh/EFTS.html

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Stapleford+Aerodrome/@51.637211,0.0672063,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x47d8a2ef946dc855:0x9f5bcf0c9ee4be31!8m2!3d51.6565971!4d0.1557889

Thanks for the information and the pointer to the Gliding School.  All very helpful.

I think if the anecdote about the crash is correct it would most likely be here, since gliders don't do circuits and bumps.  You either land correctly or you don't.

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I may be wrong but I believe that 21 EFTS was at Stapleford Tawney prewar so it really depends on the date that your man was there.
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 14:30 GMT (UK) »
I may be wrong but I believe that 21 EFTS was at Stapleford Tawney prewar so it really depends on the date that your man was there.

You may be right.  It does show the dangers of relying on a single source without corroboration.  He joined up at 1 RC Uxbridge on 5th Sept 1940.

1 RC?  Recruiting Centre?

Just found this as the centre celebrated its 80th Year in 2020:

"......the squadron, which before it was turned into the ATC was set up as an Air Defence Cadet Corps (ADCC) squadron on October 7, 1938.  The ADCC’s purpose was to prepare young men for the RAF. At its height Romford had three squadrons with 600 cadets. There are now more than 70."

https://www.romfordrecorder.co.uk/news/6f-romford-squadron-air-training-cadets-celebrate-80th-anniversary-havering-3166628

This doesn't really clear up the location since it could have been at Stapleford Tawney and later at Romford.  Equally both 21 EFTS and the ADCC Squadron could have operated from the same location, at least in the immediate pre-war and early war periods.

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 28 December 21 14:45 GMT (UK) »
1RC does sound like No.1 Recruiting Centre.

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 08:58 GMT (UK) »
From https://www.rafweb.org/Members%20Pages/Unt%20Histories/Ground%20Training%20Units/ITWs.htm

No 1 Recruit Centre was formed on 4 January 1940 at Uxbridge as part of the reformed No 1 RAF Depot and moved to the Wessex Hotel in Gloucester on 3 December 1940.
Hopefully this fits with your man's timeline.

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 29 December 21 14:49 GMT (UK) »
From https://www.rafweb.org/Members%20Pages/Unt%20Histories/Ground%20Training%20Units/ITWs.htm

No 1 Recruit Centre was formed on 4 January 1940 at Uxbridge as part of the reformed No 1 RAF Depot and moved to the Wessex Hotel in Gloucester on 3 December 1940.
Hopefully this fits with your man's timeline.
He signed up on 5th Sept 1940 so just before they moved to Gloucester. 

Offline Cornelius88

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 30 December 21 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to the help I've received on this thread, I think I may have managed to track down the accident which my man had, which left him with a steel plate in his arm.  It looks to have been a glider accident, but I won't know for certain until I visit Kew at some point. 

Could someone help me with this last extract. The first part on the right would be Leading Aircraftman, the second row is less clear "Training Squadron" perhaps.  The final two rows are presumably "Trainee Sergeant".

On the left, he joined up on 5th Sept 1940, but NIT Pilot in Sept 1940.  Pilot 11 July 41 would be when he got his wings - or at least his glider certificate since that appears to be how he did his initial training.

All comments/ help appreciated.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 30 December 21 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I think the second entry is actually U/T Pilot as in under training pilot.