Author Topic: Worcester Convict to Australia 1827  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Ozemar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Worcester Convict to Australia 1827
« Reply #27 on: Friday 18 March 22 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,
Thanks for all the information and help. I am going to go out on a limb and say that Thomas (Tommy) Field did not tell any of his children about his time as a convict. There is no mention of the seven years he spent as a stockman and labourer before he received his pardon on 31 Dec 1847. Even my father's sister was astounded when I told her what I had found.

You can see on the attachment below (I hope I've done it right!) Mark Henry Field's obit. that Tom set up shop as a nailor (interestingly, that was the occupation of his possible father, Henry Field of Northfield). I have just signed up with Ancestry for a month and found this. It has come as a surprise to me.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 18 March 22 06:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,
Thanks for all the information and help. I am going to go out on a limb and say that Thomas (Tommy) Field did not tell any of his children about his time as a convict. There is no mention of the seven years he spent as a stockman and labourer before he received his pardon on 31 Dec 1847. Even my father's sister was astounded when I told her what I had found.

You can see on the attachment below (I hope I've done it right!) Mark Henry Field's obit. that Tom set up shop as a nailor (interestingly, that was the occupation of his possible father, Henry Field of Northfield). I have just signed up with Ancestry for a month and found this. It has come as a surprise to me.

Hi,

Whether Tommy told his children or not has absolutely no bearing on what would be recorded on the birth certificate for any of them.    THere was NO requirement to give  details of the name of the ship or the year of arrival.  The questions the bdm clerk asked were to do with  where were each of the baby's parents born and what age they were at the time that baby was born and when, where were the couple married.

No need for any person to even consider mentioning any background, criminal or otherwise.   The concept in the 19th century was simply that once you had been emancipated, you were no longer a convict.   The concept of a taint or stain comes along in more recent times,  so  early to mid 20th century,   White Protestant Work Ethic era. 

JM.   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ozemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 18 March 22 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM,

Hi,

Whether Tommy told his children or not has absolutely no bearing on what would be recorded on the birth certificate for any of them.    THere was NO requirement to give  details of the name of the ship or the year of arrival.  The questions the bdm clerk asked were to do with  where were each of the baby's parents born and what age they were at the time that baby was born and when, where were the couple married.

No need for any person to even consider mentioning any background, criminal or otherwise.   The concept in the 19th century was simply that once you had been emancipated, you were no longer a convict.   The concept of a taint or stain comes along in more recent times,  so  early to mid 20th century,   White Protestant Work Ethic era. 

JM.   

True. I guess I was thinking along the lines of death certificates, which are full of stuff the family only thinks they know. The next step is to purchase some Birth transcripts when I can. Now that I have Ancestry for a month, I envision my husband will be eating TV dinners while I try to solve some of these riddles within that time frame!

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 18 March 22 07:37 GMT (UK) »
So remember how honest Thomas was. 

1.  When marrying Elizabeth HOY he informed the clergy that he would need permission of the NSW Governor.
2. He did not disguise his  given or his surname on that marriage record
3. So he was known to the HOY family by his full name
4. His name is on the NSW BDM civil registrations for his children born after civil registration commenced.
5. Tommy is a wonderfully friendly nickname well known throughout much of rural and regional NSW ... Many times in my childhood I have met men named Tommy.  Of course their formal name was Thomas.  All were kind, loved to chat and remembered a time before the motor car,  when a horse was the boss.

Tommy SMITH,  Tommy WOOD,  Tommy KELLY,  Tommy NICHOLS,  Tommy JONES. 

JM., a lass, born on the Lachlan, in 1947. 
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ozemar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 18 March 22 08:04 GMT (UK) »
So remember how honest Thomas was. 

1.  When marrying Elizabeth HOY he informed the clergy that he would need permission of the NSW Governor.
2. He did not disguise his  given or his surname on that marriage record
3. So he was known to the HOY family by his full name
4. His name is on the NSW BDM civil registrations for his children born after civil registration commenced.
5. Tommy is a wonderfully friendly nickname well known throughout much of rural and regional NSW ... Many times in my childhood I have met men named Tommy.  Of course their formal name was Thomas.  All were kind, loved to chat and remembered a time before the motor car,  when a horse was the boss.

Tommy SMITH,  Tommy WOOD,  Tommy KELLY,  Tommy NICHOLS,  Tommy JONES. 

JM., a lass, born on the Lachlan, in 1947.

Thank you for the kind words. I wish I could have known him. He was my 4th great grandfather and would have had some stories to tell (if he was inclined). I'll include his obit. as the oldest resident in Gundagai. I think his lovely wife was a great influence in his life. She died a few months after him.

All my mother's family came from along the Lachlan R. from Condobolin to Cowra and everywhere in between.