Author Topic: Shoemaker in Tasmania 1830s  (Read 819 times)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shoemaker in Tasmania 1830s
« on: Wednesday 29 December 21 08:57 GMT (UK) »
I am hoping someone may be able to head me in the direction of finding 'shoemakers' in Tasmania.

The research to date:
Joseph and Bridget O'Brien along with their 2 boys (Cornelius and Edward) sail on the Strathfieldsay from Dublin on 5 March 1833 and arrive in Hobart Town on 2 July 1833. 

During their journey out to Hobart a Functionary working in Downing Street ( for the Colonial Secretary Office) writes to Lieutenant Governor Arthur (who rules Van Diemen’s Land VD Land) requesting the sum of  £20 towards the cost of the O’Brien’s passage on the Strathfieldsay.   Ironically Joseph and his family have arrived in Hobart before this letter is sent and it is unknown if Joseph paid the £20 himself or if it was paid in retrospect:

Downing Street
         18 July 1833
Sir,
I am directed by Viscount Goderich
to request that you will cause to be
paid to the Master of the Strathfieldsay
the sum of £20 on account of
Joseph O’Brien; who is proceeding
to VD Land on board of that ship-
J. O’Brien is a Shoemaker aged
29 years; he will be accompanied
by the following family:-
Wife   aged 27 years
Cornelius        5 yrs
Edward          1 yr

I have the honour to be
   Sir
Your most obedient
Humble Servant
      RW Hay

Lieutenant Governor Arthur

While in Tasmania they have a child called William born approx 1837.  Being Catholic I believe the baptismal record would be written in Latin, but have not been able to locate a copy of this in Tasmania
-  Any help would be appreciated with this.

Joseph was one of 17 shoemakers of ‘Free” status who arrives in Van Diemen’s Land under the Arrangements sanctioned by His Majesty’s Government from 1st January 1833 to the 31st December 1833. I have managed to find a number of Boot and Shoe makers by searching through Trove, and Tasmanian records however cannot fine a Joseph O'Brien
- is there likely to be a list of shoemakers or would this not have been recorded. 
- I am curious about his work
- and where they lived, did they live in Hobart town or somewhere else in Tasmania. Are there any records which I should search.

The family left Tasmania on the 'Moffit' arriving at Port Jackson 27 April 1838.  Joseph died aged 49 years at the Infirmary and was buried on 30 May 1852 in the Parish of St James County Cumberland by Revd DM O'Connell - Roman Catholic.  The marriage certs of some of his children record his occupation as shoemaker.  Joseph and Bridget went on to have a few more children which I have information on.

My questions this time are:
-did he continue to be a shoemaker in Sydney. Census records are too vague for me to consider he lived in Wilmot Street, Macquarie in 1852.
-where would the infirmary be.

Thank you for reading this long post, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Happy new year to you all.

Welsh: Kilbarchan;Canada; New Zealand
MacArthur:North Knapdale
 Weckesser: Germany, Netherands, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia
O'Brien: Australia, New Zealand

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Shoemaker in Tasmania 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 21 04:27 GMT (UK) »
This website has a list of passengers per the Mary Anne, which includes Joseph O'Brien Shoemaker  family of 4, Cost 20 pounds. August 1833 to Hobart
theshipslist.com/ships/australia/1825-1832.shtml

Its possible (unless you have sighted the passenger list for the Strathefieldsaye)  that the letter from Downing Street is in error re the ship they sailed on or that they were placed on another ship is the Mary Anne instead.

Google tells us about the Sydney Infirmary https://dictionaryofsydney.org/organisation/sydney_infirmary_and_dispensary

Can't find any patient indexes though.

shume   australia

HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 21 04:36 GMT (UK) »
This related thread to avoid going over details already covered.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=827773.9
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 21 06:14 GMT (UK) »

Re. Joseph O'BRIEN -

"The marriage certs of some of his children record his occupation as shoemaker." 

Where the birth/baptism/marriage/death records of the children of Joseph O'BRIEN record an occupation for father, Joseph, ......and it is nor "shoemaker".....what occupation is recorded?

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 21 08:37 GMT (UK) »
On Trove, a list of tradesmen by the Strathfieldsay including J O'brien
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article232487174

M

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 December 21 22:05 GMT (UK) »
The Marriage Cert for Joseph and Bridget’s eldest son is Cornelius Michael O’Brien to Elizabeth Chislett states Cornelius Michael’s father is Joseph – Occ: Shoemaker –deceased.  Mother Bridget ?Coolahan is deceased.  (Bridget appears to have multiple different spellings depending on the document you are looking at and this makes her hard to track). Cornelius Michael was born in Ireland and occupation was not recorded sadly on baptismal record but sponsors were.

Cornelius Michaels death cert also refers to his father Joseph as: Joseph O’Brien – Shoemaker.  His mother Bridget is recorded as “unknown”.  Cornelius Michael’s wife supplies the information for her husbands death cert in written format and he died just 14 days before the birth of their last child Emily.

I have a certified copy of Joseph and Bridget's second son Edward death cert in 1897 which records Joseph as a Boot Maker and Mother ‘unknown’.  Edward was also born in Ireland so sponsors are recorded but not occupation of father.

Their 3rd child John’s death cert in 1917 has Joseph as a Boot Maker and mother recorded as Bridget.  This document was completed by his son-in-law G Smith.  According to his death cert, John was born in Tasmania in approx. 1836. 

Their 4th son William was born in 1837 approx. in Tasmania and these 4 children are the number (not named) on the Moffit shipping record when the sail to Port Jackson.

I have been unsuccessful in locating Roman Catholic baptismal records for John and William and had hoped this would be the key to the families place of residence in Tasmania.  Any ideas would be appreciated as I have not been able to locate them on Libraries Tasmania.

Thank you for the info on the Sydney infirmary – such a austere looking place.

Yes I have a copy of the Strathfieldsay shipping list and their names are on it, and also the Moffitt.  The Moffit is recorded as the ship on Joseph’s death record.  The range of occupations on the Strathfieldsay is really interesting – a very busy place with much growth in the 1830 before the bust a few years later.

Again any thoughts on accessing the baptismal records would be welcome, I seem to have found everything except the Roman Catholic ones, perhaps a reflection of the immigrant population and convict population and the desire to increase the Anglican and Presbyterian flocks perhaps?!
Thanks

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 December 21 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I have been unsuccessful in locating Roman Catholic baptismal records for John and William and had hoped this would be the key to the families place of residence in Tasmania.  Any ideas would be appreciated as I have not been able to locate them on Libraries Tasmania.
R C. Baptism for John was provided on your previous thread
Reply #23 on: Sunday 29 March 20 02:29 BST
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=827773.msg6919217#msg6919217

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline blacksmithy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 December 21 00:50 GMT (UK) »
oh dear feeling a little embarrassed about that.  I have become much better at keeping records since then! However can someone please direct me to where I would find the baptismal records and i will do a search for William.
Thanks

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 December 21 01:04 GMT (UK) »
the Tasmanian Library website - family history search: "Tasmanian names index":
https://librariestas.ent.sirsidynix.net.au/client/en_AU/names/?