Author Topic: Anne Sharp of Drigg Cross, Holmrook  (Read 1923 times)

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne Sharp of Drigg Cross, Holmrook
« on: Wednesday 29 December 21 18:32 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping someone might help me to find out a little more about Anne Sharp. I'm a hobby bookbinder and my main interest is in antiquarian books. When I find enough information about a previous owner of one of the books I buy, I can't resist trying to find out a little more about them. I'm currently in the process of restoring a book called "The Female Instructor" that belonged to Anne Sharp. The book itself was published in1815. The book has, amongst other things, advice about marriage, recipes and cures for various ailments which makes me think it was aimed at young adults rather than children.  My guess would be that Anne was born in the late 1790s/early 1800s and that Sharp is probably her maiden name. My usual, albeit limited resources for searching, haven't brought up anything, so any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Dickinson, Forster, Crisp, Davy, Sankey, Herdman, Watts, Elder, Seaton Sluice

Vezey, London

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Sharp of Drigg Cross, Holmrook
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 December 21 00:52 GMT (UK) »
There is an Anne SHARP aged 50 (ages rounded down in 1841 census) in the 1841 census at Drigg Cross, probably married to William:

William SHARP   50   mason
Anne                    50
Thomas               25
Rachel                 15
Jane                    13
Elizabeth              10
Esther                   7
Joseph WILSON  15  apprentice
John SHARP       14   apprentice

HO107/156/13 pg 7

She is still there in 1861 with son Thomas and his family. Anne, aged 72, born Calderbridge and William (formerly stonemason), aged 71, born Egremont.
RG9/3954/14 pg 9

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 21 01:02 GMT (UK) »
A death notice:

"On Friday last, at the house of her daughter, Miss Easter [sic] Sharpe, at Ravenglass, Mrs. Ann Sharpe, relict of Mr. Wm Sharpe, of Drigg Cross Quarry, in the parish of Drigg, aged 79 years."

Friday,  June 15, 1866
Publication: Carlisle Journal

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 21 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Thank you! That could well be her. It would make her in her twenties in 1815. I wonder if it was a wedding present and she was married around 1815/1816. It would certainly fit with the contents of the book and also tie in with Thomas being 25 i.e. born around 1816/1817. It looks as though she had a good long life!

Vezey, London

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 21 01:11 GMT (UK) »
There is also a marriage bond for William SHARP (23) of Egremont, mason who married Anne BRASS (23) of Egremont. Her father - Henry BRASS, shoemaker. Marriage bond date - 10 Aug 1812.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 December 21 03:35 GMT (UK) »
In case you're interested, Drigg Cross can be seen on this 1860 map (bottom left hand side)
https://maps.nls.uk/view/102340917

And in this 1900 map showing the old quarry
https://maps.nls.uk/view/101093155

Looking on a current map there appears to be a house and the remains of the quarry still there, no street view available in the area however.

Lovely to be able to put some history to a book!  :)

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 December 21 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking the time to help! Now I'm more awake than I was late last night, I'm realising that Sharp or Sharpe is definitely a maiden name. She's signed the book three times using both spellings but always with Miss, written with a long "s", which leaves little room for doubt.

Drigg Cross looks as though it was only a small place, so you wouldn't expect there to be two women with the same name there. I wonder if perhaps William had a sister called Anne. It's becoming quite baffling!

Vezey, London

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 31 December 21 08:29 GMT (UK) »
That is baffling.  :)

There is another Ann SHARP in the 1841 census at Drigg, 12 years old daughter of Anthony and Isabella, however their address is Carleton Green.

I'll do a bit more searching and see what I can find about Drigg Cross and the SHARPs.

Offline Annied22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 31 December 21 14:37 GMT (UK) »
That's very kind of you. The whole book is actually a bit of a mystery. The binding is very old, but from the look of the book block itself, it's not the original one. Before it was rebound, the title page was repaired, the frontispiece was already missing, and both title page and the back of the final page are so dirty that it must have been lying around without any boards for a long time to reach that state. It also had coloured endpapers which I've never seen in a book published as early as 1815. Anne had written her name and address in pencil on the endpapers as well as signing just her name on the title page and final page in ink, so she must have owned it after it was rebound. She'd added a date after her name on the title page, but unfortunately it comes at the very end of the page, the corner of which is missing, and the vital last two numbers are no longer there.

The long "s" has been throwing me. I know it was no longer used in printing after the very early 1800s (1805 is the latest book I have in which it features), but it did remain in handwriting for longer. I thought it had pretty much died out by the mid 1800s, certainly amongst the younger generation, but when I put everything together it's starting to make sense that Anne may well have been the person who had the book rebound, but she wasn't the first owner of it as I'd assumed.

It's really only due to your research that I'm beginning to be able to piece the book's history together and I very much appreciate that, but if I'd realised all of this before, I wouldn't have started the thread as it makes it far less straightforward than I'd originally thought and without a firm date of any kind, it's probably going to be impossible to find a definite answer.

It's possible if Anne and William married in 1812, that Thomas wasn't actually their firstborn. Could there be a daughter Anne who was already married by 1841 to whom her mother passed on the book?

Vezey, London