Author Topic: Murray family mystery to solve. Help needed  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Murray family mystery to solve. Help needed
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 December 21 23:12 GMT (UK) »
I think if Sidney remembers visiting his “grandmother” in a big house, then it must have been his Great-grandmother Mary Ann ROWLAND and great Aunt Augusta SAMPSON who lived in Hampshire. This was where his sister Eva MURRAY lived. (On the census they are called Eva's grandparents.) Sidney and Eva never knew their real grandmother Harriet MURRAY because she had died in 1884.

Regarding Siegmund LÖWENSTEIN:  Although he did have about 6 sisters, I saw no evidence that they lived in England. When their father died, the 3  brothers only came to England, and the rest of the family appears to have remained in Germany. Of course it is very possible that sisters came and visited their brothers in London, and one sister may have been staying when Sidney visited.

Seigmund lived with his brothers in 1891 census, but by 1893 his older brother Lazar had married, so the three brothers would have moved apart. In 1901 census Sigmund was living alone. He had a household with a large number of female servants, some of them similar ages to him. It is quite possible that one of these house servants was Seigmund’s mistress, and to avoid scandal, she was described as a “sister” or a “servant”.

Happy New Year.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Murray1983

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 09 January 22 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Happy new year to all  :)

I have order the will of Siegmund. So let's see if there is something in it.

In meantime I received some ficture from great aunt from the voller Family. With a new name mentionned Mrs Ronson seems to be the lady taking care of my Great Granfather when he was in the voller family.

Unfortunatelly no more document on the sidney Father side

Offline Murray1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 09 January 22 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Happy new year to all  :)

I have order the will of Siegmund. So let's see if there is something in it.

In meantime I received some ficture from great aunt from the voller Family. With a new name mentionned Mrs Ronson seems to be the lady taking care of my Great Granfather when he was in the voller family.

Unfortunatelly no more document on the sidney Father side

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 January 22 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Mrs Ronson is Dorcas Ronson, nee Voller. she was living elsewhere in Elthorne Avenue with her husband in 1911, but is back in the Voller household at no 11 by 1922, judging by electoral registers.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 January 22 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Dorcas RONSON was born 22.3.1885 in Dorset.  She was illegitimate.
Her mother was either Louisa Mahala DEWLAND (born 1865 Dorset, died 1951) or her sister Martha Selina DEWLAND (born 1861 Dorset, died 1924 Middlesex).

Her birth registration :
DEWLAND, DORCAS       -  no mother maiden name
GRO Reference: 1885  J Quarter in WEYMOUTH  Volume 05A  Page 320

I think Dorcas’ real mother was Martha. However Martha never married and it looks as if her sister Louisa may have taken on, or shared, the mothering of Dorcas. When Martha died in 1924, the address  was 11 Elthorne Ave, Hanwell.

Dorcas “mother” Louisa M DEWLAND 1st married James QUINN in 1889 (Dorset) and then
a second marriage in 1896 (Camden London) to Thomas James VOLLER .
 Dorcas took on her step-father’s name of VOLLER.

Dorcas VOLLER married Joseph RONSON in 1905. Both Dorcas and her husband worked as hairdressers.
They had a son William Charles RONSON born in Hanwell Middlesex in 1905; he died 1982.
In 1911 the RONSON family were living at 92 Elthorne Avenue .

By 1931 Dorcas was divorced and living at 11 Elthorne Avenue, next door to her parents.
In 1939 she was living with her parents at Lyncroft Gardens, Ealing.
Dorcas died in Fulham London in 1949.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 January 22 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the photos that were posted ……

•   “Aunty Dark” will be Dorcas RONSON.  “Dark” is nickname for Dorcas

•   Robert VOLLER photo with bicycle in 1924. He was the son of  Thomas James VOLLER and Louisa Mahala DEWLAND
     He was born 31 May 1902 in London. Married Ethel in 1928. He was a house painter. He died 1978
     He had an older brother named Victor Roland VOLLER born in 1898. Married Helena in 1922. He was a grocer. He died in 1973.

•   Then there is a photo of “William”. I am unsure about this William.
He is in army uniform, and he is with Louisa Mahala (Dewland) VOLLER and Dorcas RONSON.
If he is wearing WW1 uniform, it cannot be the son of Dorcas. If this photo of William is in WW2 uniform, then it will be be Dorcas ‘ son, William Charles RONSON. Considering the ages of the two women, I doubt it is as late as WW2. So I am confused - who is this William? ???

Offline Murray1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 January 22 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello thank you for the info very usefull and important to our family as the Dorcas is now the link I was trying to do. Indeed in the family story Sidney was taken care by the Voller's daughter but I didn't manage do this link. I really need to be more efficient in using Ancestry  :D. By the way do you use other Website to look for informations ?

Indeed William is Dorcas son as written on the photo. Which is good as we can find this link in records.