Author Topic: John Hurl and Eliza Cotter, married 1865, his father Daniel  (Read 1030 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John Hurl and Eliza Cotter, married 1865, his father Daniel
« on: Thursday 30 December 21 19:54 GMT (UK) »
John Hurl married Eliza McCotter, both of Killygullib, in 1865 in the Roman Catholic Chapel, John's father Daniel. John's son Daniel was born Nov 24, 1865 in Killygullib. Then John and Eliza went to Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland where a son Dennis was born 1870 and a daughter Mary Elizabeth in 1875, possibly a son John in 1878 who died as an infant. John died before 1881 as Eliza is a widow, also in 1891 but Eliza remarried to Patrick McIlroy in 1893 who was 5-10 years younger than her. Eliza died 1925 in Elswick.
Then I found the death of Daniel Hurl, age 77, in Killygullib, widower, Dec 23, 1891. Must be John's father but I don't have the name of Daniel's wife aka John's mother. Daniel's daughter Mary is present at death. I found the death of Mary Hurl in 1919 whom I think is this daughter. Daniel left everything to Mary as per Proni.
Can anyone find any info on Daniel, such as a death notice or writeup, to determine his wife's name and any other children? Mary did not marry but she was  born abt 1845 as per age at death.
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: John Hurl and Eliza Cotter, married 1865, his father Daniel
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 30 December 21 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Something for you to pick the bones of........

Anc Tree Daniel Hurl 1808 - Carloon, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Northern Ireland

died  Carloon, Magherafelt, Londonderry, Northern Ireland. (no source)

and spouse Sarah 1810

Gives 5 children :-

James 1831 - 1858
Thomas Hurl 1835 - 1904
Daniel 1836 - 1909
Elizabeth 1837
John 1839 (the father of Daniel 1865 - 1941  (as per USA board)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 30 December 21 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,
I think that tree is very confused. That Daniel was married to Elizabeth McIlroy July 5, 1816 so could not be born 1808. If that Daniel died in Carraloan, he must be different than the widower Daniel who died 1891,age 77, in Killygullib, so born abt 1814, and therefore likely married after 1834 but before 1839 when son John born.
Thomas 1835, Daniel 1836, and Eliza 1837 all had mother Elizabeth McIlroy as per Woods Chapel records. Daniel and Elizabeth had a son James in 1820 although could have had another James in 1831 I suppose if the first James died. I also suppose Daniel could have remarried to a Sarah if Elizabeth died after Eliza's death in 1837 but then Sarah wouldn't be the mother of Thomas, Daniel and Eliza. I haven't found a death as yet for the Carraloan Daniel. There is a Daniel who died 1909 who was married to Rachel Love and the Daniel who died in Killygullib in 1891.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 December 21 21:33 GMT (UK) »
But I gather that English death certificates do no name the parents.
English certificates follow the same layout of English/Welsh ones so parents are not generally on a death certificate unless 1) one of the parents is the informant or sometimes 2) for an infant or young child

I believe Dennis' grandfather Daniel Hurl, widower, died Dec 23, 1891 in Killygullib, with his daughter Mary present to whom he willed everything as per proni. I did not find an obit for Daniel on British Newspaper Archive. Can anyone find his death notice? In all the records that I have found, I do not have a wife for Daniel.
Daniel was a widower so you can search for death of his wife 1891 back to 1864 although 1) she  may have died before 1864 or 2) she may not be the mother of his children
The Will of Daniel Hurl late of Killygullib County Londonderry Farmer who died 23 December 1891 at same place was proved at Londonderry by Charles Quin of Killygullib Grocer one of the Executors.

Maybe I should post on Ireland site as well.
If you do start another thread on the Derry/Londonderry board you need to include a link to this one and any other relevant ones to prevent duplication.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 December 21 21:44 GMT (UK) »
I did post a link to the Dennis Hurl posting on the England site.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 December 21 21:45 GMT (UK) »
You did NOT post a link HERE to any other threads.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 December 21 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Please see reply #1.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 30 December 21 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Please see reply #1.

Apologies as I missed as I read your initial post then saw Sandra's post but somehow missed reply #1.