Author Topic: Mary Cave ....a puzzle  (Read 1987 times)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Cave ....a puzzle
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 January 22 01:44 GMT (UK) »
I meant to add last night that I wondered why the Biographical Index of South Australians has David THOMAS as from Oswestry, whilst the marriage notice (which is suspect on Mary's father's name and Mary's place in the family!) says he is "late of Southampton". Couple's birthplaces were not usually recorded on SA marriages in this time. Or maybe I'm wrong in thinking "Oswaldsey" is meant to be Oswestry. I can't see anywhere of the first name in the UK   :-\

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 03 January 22 02:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes.  I do not know what/where about "Oswaldsey"

I did look carefully to check what I was seeing :o

Wherever it was, it was stated as native place and he could still be "late of Southampton" I suppose

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 January 22 03:16 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch has this baptism but the surname is very common in the border areas.

David Thomas
Baptism:15 December 1822 at Oswestry, Shropshire, England
Parents:    Arthur, Mary
FHL Film Number:   1657582  Reference ID:   200

However looking at the images (FindMyPast) the parents of David Thomas, baptised 15 December 1822 at St Oswald's, Oswestry are listed as Stephen and Mary, abode: Leg St, occupation: farmer
This record is also shown as on FamilySearch with film numbers FHL Film Number:   501462, 501463, 501464.  These FamilySearch ref numbers are cited in Ancestry's England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrissiecruiser

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Berg (12/5/1893-8/10/1916)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 03 January 22 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Judith, Sue, Maddy and Jo....

Judith, with regards to Mary and John Beaton Terrell knowing each other, I have no doubt that the families were acquainted.   
On the Electoral Registers that I have for Mary's Father, Charles, the lease numbers were on the same street, that is Lower or North Street. 1846 Charles is 3175 and Terrells houses 3200,1,2 and 3.
 So you see, they are quite close.
1842 Charles is 6227 and Terrell's, 6261.

Sue and Maddy, there were no other Thomas's on the Duke of Bronte that I can find.  I did check Oswestry 1841 Census and there is a Thomas family with a David (age 6)and 7 siblings with father being a draper. Lots of Thomas's though.

Jo, I do not have a Marriage Certificate for Mary Cave and David Thomas as she was my Great Grand Aunt and not in my direct line, saving a bit of money.
I do all my research online basically as I am on a small farm 360k's from the nearest big library in Adelaide, am retired and don't have much cash these days.

It amazes me what one can discover through papers etc. Trove, the Australian research line in the National Library of Australia is fantastic and all free!

Nearly as good as Rootschatters!!!

Thankyou all for helping out.

Cheers,
Chris
Berg - Uppsala, Sweden
Bissett - Scotland
Butler - Yorkshire
Butt - Dorset
Butterworth - Yorkshire
Cave - Somerset
Darby - Somerset
Grierson - Scotland
Kruger/Krueger - Prussia, Germany
Lecher - Cottbus, Brandenburg, Germany
Levick - Nottinghamshire, UK
Molde - Schleswig-Holstein, Denmark/Germany
Oram - Wiltshire & Somerset, UK
Randell - Devon, UK
Savren - Dorset, UK
Weilbach - Denmark & South Africa
Williams - Cornwall, UK

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 03 January 22 04:57 GMT (UK) »

Sue and Maddy, there were no other Thomas's on the Duke of Bronte that I can find.  I did check Oswestry 1841 Census and there is a Thomas family with a David (age 6)and 7 siblings with father being a draper. Lots of Thomas's though.

Edward THOMAS, the father of this family, and a  draper , is too young to be the father of the correct David THOMAS. He is only about 30 years  (+/- for 1841census)

But the draper connection seems relevant to me and I would wonder if Edward THOMAS had a brother in the same occupation with a family

The baptism is interesting Judith. Were there other baptisms to this couple in your searchings? 

Sue

ADDING
I wonder what records were available to those compiling the Biographical Index of South Australians that led the record to read, married by 1853?

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 January 22 05:12 GMT (UK) »

ADDING
I wonder what records were available to those compiling the Biographical Index of South Australians that led the record to read, married by 1853?

Replying to myself :o

Maybe this is relevant

THOMAS   David aged 30   year 1853
Hospital, Asylum and Lying-in Home Admissions

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 January 22 05:32 GMT (UK) »
I am NSW centric so not much help with S.A., sorry.  But .... without side tracking the thread,  please may I ask about a Lying-in Home Admissions for a male... I thought Lying-In was for birthing.   :) ::) Being NSW centric I could of course be WRONG ....

JM

ADD .... ancient rellie phoned me just now .... I need new specs .... Sue has typed Hospital, Asylum and Lying-In Home Admissions.  I will be found standing in the corner.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 January 22 05:36 GMT (UK) »
 :) :)

I think the reference is to 3 separate  institutions-
1. Hospital
2. Asylum
3.Lying-in home

Hopefully if the records were actually readily available, we would find this David in either Hospital or Asylum!

ADDING The little I can find about the records says-
The Adelaide Hospital   admission records often recorded the name of the ship the patient arrived on......

Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 January 22 05:39 GMT (UK) »
 :)  Hi,   Sue is spot on.  My ancient rellie says so too.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.