Author Topic: Stewart McLetchie Aitken Merchant Navy Medal card, help needed please.  (Read 1517 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Stewart McLetchie Aitken Merchant Navy Medal card, help needed please.
« on: Sunday 02 January 22 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Good evening to you all, I hope you are all well.
I am trying to help a friend regarding the above person, Stewart (McLetchie) Aitken born 30th April 1921 and passed away on the 22nd March 2017.

I have downloaded his medal card but cannot work out what it means, is anyone able to help with it please, also would his service be available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and as always my very best regards.

Frank.

ADDED: I have just realised that one is the War Medal and the 1939 Medal but cannot make out the others which have a cross on them.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stewart McLetchie Aitken Merchant Navy Medal card, help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 January 22 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I am not very familiar with Merchant Navy records but after reading The National Archives guide https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seamen-serving-since-1918/
which makes reference to Seamens' pouches there does appear to be one for your man. Do you have this record? Unfortunately they have not been digitised but you can order a copy - at a charge. They will give you a quote first.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 January 22 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello crisane, thank you so much for your kind reply and the link you kindly provided, I will pass the information on to my friend, I am sure he will request the cost of the record and take it from there, thus advancing his quest.
Once again my thanks to you for your help.

Kindest regards always

Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 January 22 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The medal file shows he or his next of kin were issued with the following medals
1939-45 Star, Atlantic Star, Africa Star + Clasp, Italy Star and the War Medal. The circle and cross indicate that both a medal and a ribbon have been issued.
His Seaman's Pouch is held at Kew in piece BT 372/580/35 - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C8223693 this file can be somewhat hit and miss as to contents but usually contains and id photo on his CR1 card.
You really want to obtain his CRS 10 - service record begining Jan,1941 and should be held at Kew in piece BT 382/12 - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10988239 this file should contain a list of his ships including dates and places of engagement and discharge and other info.
Please note although the Pouch can be obtained online the CRS 10 will need a visit to Kew or copied via a researcher.
Any questions please feel free.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 January 22 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh, thank you for the reply, I will read through your reply more thoroughly when home and take it from there.

My very best regards and thanks always.

Frank.

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Good evening, just a quick update, my friend sends his sincere thanks to you both for taking the time to answer my questions on his behalf, and to let you know that he is going to get a quote for the information which is available to him.

One question did crop up though, there appears to be 2 numbers allocated to this man, one is his service number: R238440 and the other is his discharge number: R281777, was it normal for a man to have a different discharge number to his service number?

My apologies if this is a somewhat basic question, we are just trying to dot the I's and cross the T's.

Once again many thanks from the both of us for your kind replies and knowledge.

Frank.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, both are discharge numbers which as far as the MN is concerned are the same thing as service numbers.
R238440 belongs to a Stewart Aitken b. 1921, Rutherglen and who served at one time on a T124T agreement on Royal Navy ships - in this case Deep Sea Rescue Tugs. A seaman should only have one discharge number but there are reasons why this could happen but relatively rare.

So they could be one and the same man or both different seamen. Maybe check out both files if someone can visit Kew.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hugh, many thanks for your prompt reply, yes, it's strange, however the man:

R281777 AITKEN S M 30/04/1921 RUTHERGLEN has the same birth date as our man, he was a chemical worker prior to the war but was called up as he was in the reserves, I strongly suspect this is him, but it is strange to have 2 names and places of birth practically the same apart from the middle name.

A visit to Kew is not possible at the moment so I shall endeavor to try and work out the correct man.

Many thanks as always

Frank

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 January 22 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank,
Go with your gut, I think it is the same man. Don't forget his CRS 10 and look under both numbers. This file is his service record both of the others are pouches.

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO