Author Topic: 1921 census  (Read 20545 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census
« Reply #333 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 19:30 GMT (UK) »
I only wanted one census and now that I've printed it off I can scarcely see what I've paid for because of its size. 

"Fit to page" on all other census meant there was no margin on any of the four sides, unlike this one where the top and bottom margins are extremely generous to say the least.

This English census only lists the three youngest brothers and not five.  Thus it confirms what my father told me and that was,  he and his brothers were sent away to live with an aunt up in Glasgow to finish their education and then to start an apprenticeship in Glasgow.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I imagine you have just printed it from the image on screen. If you download it you can adjust the size of the image, you also want to down load the othe pages connected to the image.
 You can go back and do it again, once your have paid for the image you can go and download it as often as you like.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Well looking for my (later) bigamous great aunt, Annie Goodwin (nee Cocks)
Not able to find her up to now.
Her husband Eli Goodwin was visiting his brother Samuel, in Eli’s home town Duffield. It say’s Eli was a clerk at the Labour exchange in Derby.
Well Annie’s not there, found one born in Derby, should be Dukinfield.

I checked the 1911 census, and she is clearly part of another family.
Another possible was born in right place but much too old, and found her in earlier census too.
Ah well.
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 21:54 GMT (UK) »
I imagine you have just printed it from the image on screen. If you download it you can adjust the size of the image, you also want to down load the othe pages connected to the image.
 You can go back and do it again, once your have paid for the image you can go and download it as often as you like.
I think I know what Rena means. The rows are much wider than in the old censuses so the page is much wider, so when you print it out the writing can be quite small, unless you have an A3 printer.

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: Wednesday 26 January 22 23:40 GMT (UK) »
now that I've printed it off I can scarcely see what I've paid for because of its size. 

That is a reflection of the original imperial page size, look at the videos of the ledgers they opened. The pages were large, the cover with the address and guidelines is the other side and they were folded in 3. On the video they look longer than A3 landscape but smaller in height perhaps Double Foolscap or Foolscap and Half. A4 & A3 sized paper was adoped UK with metrication but I have notes on foolscap paper pads & binders into the mid 1980's.
I think Findmypast said even they had to use special sheet feed scanners.

Left margin could be cropped using appropiate editing software or chop off the large right column with all the boxes for inserting X's. Alternatively print on 2 pages. I intend just saving & storing as an image.

"Fit to page" on all other census meant there was no margin on any of the four sides, unlike this one where the top and bottom margins are extremely generous to say the least.
The 1911 census did also suffer similar top & bottom margin problems if try to print, though not as extreme, and the 1921 is even longer with the extra right column for carding purposes. All the older census are from summary ledgers.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: Saturday 29 January 22 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Latest find has thrown up a rather sad story

My great uncle William Henry Pullen ‘Will’ I knew had passed the latter years of his life in mental institutions.
My aunt knew a bit more and said that after he married, he had 2 children. I never managed to find them.
Now I find him in1921 in what became Ashford Hospital, previously part of the Poor Law setup.
He remained there until 1939 at least and was later at Tooting Bec mental hospital.

Now I found his wife and all became clear.
She had two children by a previous marriage, and one by Will, just 7 months old when her father was institutionalised.
Research into husband no 1, found they married in1912, had two children, husband Thomas died in 1915 just before his son was born. So Margaret the wife had lost one husband to the war and another to Mental illness, the kids too, losing father/stepfather. All very sad
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: Saturday 29 January 22 15:45 GMT (UK) »

My great uncle William Henry Pullen ‘Will’ I knew had passed the latter years of his life in mental institutions.
Did he serve in the 1st World War? It could have been shell shock/PTSD.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: Saturday 29 January 22 16:13 GMT (UK) »

Did he serve in the 1st World War? It could have been shell shock/PTSD.

No he twice enlisted and was each time discharged as unfit for war duties due to epilepsy
Never on active service

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: Saturday 29 January 22 17:08 GMT (UK) »
A member  of  my  family signed  up pre  1st  World  was and  was deemed to be unfit, it  didn't stop  them signing him up for the war and  he  gave  his  life  for  his country ,  I  find  that incredibly sad

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London