Author Topic: 1921 census  (Read 20514 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census
« Reply #117 on: Thursday 06 January 22 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Quite an annoying issue, is that you can't send a correction (as far as I can see), if you only buy the image, I'm not paying £2.50 for every correction I want to send!

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 06 January 22 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Quite an annoying issue, is that you can't send a correction (as far as I can see), if you only buy the image, I'm not paying £2.50 for every correction I want to send!

I’ve emailed “support” instead!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 06 January 22 15:22 GMT (UK) »

I’ve emailed “support” instead!
Let us know if you get a positive response :). I'll start making a list which I can send them all in one go!

EDIT: if you go into 'My Records' at the top, you will get a list of all your purchases, you can then copy the link for the transcript (little page icon to right of camera icon) by right clicking > copy link.

Offline Pamela21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Thursday 06 January 22 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Under the first column 'relationship to head of household' they have not included adopted or fostered children and there is no advice in the instructions. It looks like they completely forgot about them. In the one I'm looking at the child was fostered so was not related to the head or his wife.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Thursday 06 January 22 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Under the first column 'relationship to head of household' they have not included adopted or fostered children and there is no advice in the instructions. It looks like they completely forgot about them. In the one I'm looking at the child was fostered so was not related to the head or his wife.

It depends on the person who completed the forms - I've found both fostered and adopted designations for children.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline NooshieW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Today is the day of my life
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Thursday 06 January 22 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I have waited with anticipation for this, as my Dad’s childhood was a mystery. He is on there with his mother, so at least I know where he was aged 7. My grandma lied about her age which I find very odd.
She made herself two years younger. As she was about to remarry, (she was a war widow), I cannot think why she would do that. The whole form was a shambles, she made a complete hash of it actually dear of her!! Anyway, her husband to be was in Chelmsford ,(she was in Plymouth) and he was unemployed and boarding. So my mystery is, why did he move from Plymouth to Chelmsford when there was no job there!!
Devon,Cornwall and Somerset
West,Horne,Andrews,Melluish and Denniford

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Thursday 06 January 22 15:41 GMT (UK) »
One ancestor died in May 1921 aged 82, so will not be in the final census entry for 19 June 1921 but his name may appear but crossed out, as he would still have been alive on the 24th April 1921, the original intended date.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Thursday 06 January 22 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Is there anywhere within the census paperwork that says how those last columns (about the children) are SUPPOSED to be completed?

I have a few different interpretations and am wondering whether I am misunderstanding them or could potentially read something in to the answers (i.e. who is included and who isn't).
Obvs the person completing could also have the wrong end of the stick.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Thursday 06 January 22 16:01 GMT (UK) »
One of my aunts who was 13 at the time was staying with my g.grandparents (her grandparents) and under the single, married, divorced heading it states "Both Alive".  When I looked properly at the heading it asked for the status of parents of any child visiting on the day of the census.  I thought there was supposed to be more info on this census, but really apart from full ages in years and months, there was no more info than I got from the 1911 census.  All the boxes at the right hand side of the census relate to living children and step children under 16, but this didn't apply to my aunt as she was a visitor.