Author Topic: 1921 census  (Read 20552 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census
« Reply #243 on: Saturday 08 January 22 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Here is a big advantage of having American ancestors.  1)  US law prohibits the copyrighting of documents produced by the federal government [including, for example, the censuses] and also prohibits the copyrighting of some documents produced by the states.  The individual states vary but most do not copyright any public documents.  2)  For peculiar reasons of its own, the LDS church is interested in genealogical records, transcribes them, indexes them and makes them freely available to all.  You can see any US census for free and many other records, as well.  The downside, though, is that barring the Social Security Death Index, there is no national record of vital statistics.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Online Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Saturday 08 January 22 16:47 GMT (UK) »

Offline Dr Haynes’ Cat

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Saturday 08 January 22 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, is anyone else finding some of their ancestors are “missing” in the 1921 census?

I’ve found some ancestors but quite a few appear to be missing. I tried keeping the search wide and using name variants but nope, no joy. Interested to hear whether or not others have experienced the same.

Thanks

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Saturday 08 January 22 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Typical me - not reading all of the info first!
Thanks everyone :-)
I have just managed to find all the household members of one family by using the advanced options in the search.
I will now read ALL of the information given by FindMyPast before I look again :-)
(but I really do need to cook dinner before the family "starve")
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: Saturday 08 January 22 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, is anyone else finding some of their ancestors are “missing” in the 1921 census?

Yes me too, I search for my 4 grandparents and only found the one after a lot of searching, his year of birth was 5 years out. Just putting in surnames and general areas is not bringing up the number that I had thought would have been listed.

Welcome by the way ;)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: Sunday 09 January 22 00:21 GMT (UK) »

Yes me too, I search for my 4 grandparents and only found the one after a lot of searching, his year of birth was 5 years out. Just putting in surnames and general areas is not bringing up the number that I had thought would have been listed.

Because I do a One-Place Study, I'm looking through the indexes following my small town streets, looking for a lot of people I know are there. One thing that is showing up is that some of the bithplaces indexed are wrong. I have a lot of people where only the county name is given. And some of those are wrong.

I started by getting my father's image. His mother was indexed as "London, Middlesex". Fine - except when I get the image, her birthplace is given as "London, Mayfair". The rest of the family was given as "Cheshire, Northwich", and was indexed as "Northwich, Cheshire.

Then I got one where the whole family was listed as being born in Hampshire, which I knew was rubbish. When I got that image, they were all born in Northamptonshire, and all had the villages they came from specified. All unindexed. I've attached a snip.

It would appear common sense has not been used for the index, and that there's a lot of place information missing that should have been indexed. And unless we're prepared to also buy the transcript, we can't even correct it!

We will have to use the other index fields - the place info is just a tad unreliable.

:( :( :(
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Online Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: Sunday 09 January 22 03:03 GMT (UK) »
the place info is just a tad unreliable

Their transcribers SBL in India (per https://fb.watch/amCFCCqx_l/ about 25 mins in) must have been using a placename gazetteer or google incorrectly as can't see any logical explaination of getting the top one right as born Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England and the next two as Gosford, Oxfordshire, England clearly an H at the end and one more letter after a stroked T. They must have used something other than https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gosforth Gosforth is a suburb of Newcastle upon Tyne.
As for Northumberland vs. Oxfordshire?

Whilst inputting expected 1921 Location brings up desired 7 results decided to see what came up with just inputting Parish as that is one of the properties displayed and unless I select  "Whitton,Tosson,Rothbury,Newtown" from the drop down that appears as type get zilch. 0 persons with Rothbury Parish or Tosson Parish. The field should be really be labelled Civil Parish in the Advanced Search to distinguish from ecclesiastical parish, as both appear on the title pages.

Keyword brings up same 7 results but may prove useful as eg Belfast brings up results where the birth place displayed is just    
[County] Antrim, Ireland or [County] Down, Ireland and residence is in England.
Did not purchase Transcription, only original image.

What new did it tell me, not much, but wasn't expecting it too, will be the more distant cousins who married a George Smith or Thomas Jones after 1911 that provide new info, but are too much off to the side to justify the £ until something takes me to that branch, got plenty of other stuff to do. Tells me the street that Great Northern Telegraph Office was on in Newcastle-upon-Tyne where Gt-grandfather worked (have his original apprenticeship parchment from 1880 and a letter congratulating 25 years service with the company postmarked Denmark 1911). Knew the family moved from Newcastle 1920/1 as stopped appearing on electoral registers 1920 and Tom's WW1 medals were posted to Rothbury 1921. Also tells me grandfather worked in the Rothbury grocers shop with his elder brother & 2 sisters before starting with Carrs Biscuits, not a great revelation. Will ran the shop till retirement, never moved, and died aged 100 so met him couple of times despite me living in Belfast. All the others moved (including his parents) before 1939. Grandmother is in Sunderland and other Grandfather in Birmingham where I expected them to be with their families like 1911, but again all moved before 1939. Might look for Gt-Gt-Grandmother Annie Thomas in Birmingham 1921 and see if other daughter is with her - no result but thought she was there May 1920 on electoral reg mmm

Online Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: Sunday 09 January 22 04:51 GMT (UK) »
they must have had large families in Dublin, Suffolk.
38,251 people born Optional keywords Dublin. Birth county Suffolk! Only 27,040 born in Dublin, Ireland.

Just managed to find 3rd Gt grandmother born 1833 where I expected with a daughter, but transcribed as born 1884 age 37 vs 87 I guess. The row above has a grandson aged 36 and the 3 & 8 are in no way similar, clearly not a 3, plus she is a mother [in-law] & a widow.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: Sunday 09 January 22 06:38 GMT (UK) »
I found Noah Swindells was indexed as Noah Surindelh
It defies belief
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com