Author Topic: 1921 census  (Read 19524 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census
« Reply #252 on: Sunday 09 January 22 12:38 GMT (UK) »
St Helen Auckland, Durham, transcribed as St Helen Lancashire.

At least is is just a mix up of another place which has St Helen's in it. I have come across some amusing names for parishes that have never existed.

In 1851 a man in London put Vierbwike, Essex as his birthplace.

Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Sunday 09 January 22 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Erato I don't understand what copyright has to do with the 1921 Census, Ancestery and othe suppliers cannot upload them due to contract requirements not due to copyright.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Sunday 09 January 22 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone found a person in the workhouse on the 1921?

If so, if you buy the original, do you get the full schedule naming everyone in the workhouse or just the one name you looked up or just the one page that includes that name?

thanks
Lisa

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Sunday 09 January 22 13:19 GMT (UK) »
Lisa,

I haven't bought images for anyone in a workhouse but I have bought images where:

a) the person was in a household (a children's home but not flagged as an institution) where the number of people span two pages. I only have access to the image with my person on it and not every image for the schedule.

I would actually like to buy the other image but FindMyPast throws a error whilst showing the purchase confirmation, then re-tries and gets stuck in a loop.

b) the person was in hospital. I only have access to the image with my person on it and not every image for the schedule.

Note that for both cases I do have access to the "cover", "front", map and plan images, just not the other images with people's details.

EDIT: Just to clear, the images I have bought both are the full image and contain multiple people, and aren't cropped in anyway just to single individual.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Online lisalisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Sunday 09 January 22 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cuffie,

thank you  :)
I was concerned it might only be one name.

Lisa

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Sunday 09 January 22 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I can confirm cuffie81 and lisalisa.  I bought a hospital patient - got the whole page, plus the access to  extra materials, but cannot see any of the other pages.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online phil57

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Sunday 09 January 22 13:37 GMT (UK) »

If so, if you buy the original, do you get the full schedule naming everyone in the workhouse or just the one name you looked up or just the one page that includes that name?

thanks
Lisa

You get an image of the page containing the name of the individual. There are images of additional material under the "Extra materials" link on the image viewing screen at FindMyPast. From there you should get the "Front" page which includes the address box, images of the cover and map etc.

Other pages for additional inmates etc. will be charged separately, but if you use the advanced search for the Piece number, RD, SD and ED numbers that can be found on the cover image, the search should return a list of all individuals at the institution.

For one I downloaded (Romford Union Workhouse) the address box on the front sheet had been left blank. I had to refer to the 1921 census documents on FindMyPast using the Piece and Enumeration District numbers from the cover image to find out which workhouse the images related to.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/world-records/1921-census---institutions-and-prisons

Note that many workhouses and other large institutions were allocated their own ED number, so if you know the Piece number and ED you can confirm the name of the institution directly with that information.
Stokes - London and Essex
Hodges - Somerset
Murden - Notts
Humphries/Humphreys from Montgomeryshire

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Sunday 09 January 22 14:12 GMT (UK) »

thanks
Lisa

Yes I found my 2xgreat grandfather in the Oxford Workhouse, and had to come onto this thread to ask for advice, then found instructions about the Extra Info. I was not 100% sure it was the workhouse but when I was told about the Extra info I found it was Oxford Workhouse. I have been past where it was a few times when I visited Oxford.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Online melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Sunday 09 January 22 14:28 GMT (UK) »
It would appear common sense has not been used for the index, and that there's a lot of place information missing that should have been indexed. And unless we're prepared to also buy the transcript, we can't even correct it!

We will have to use the other index fields - the place info is just a tad unreliable.

:( :( :(
As someone suggested earlier, I have saving all my corrections, and copying the transcript link from my records, and making a list to send to FindMyPast all in one go ;).