Author Topic: 1921 census  (Read 20460 times)

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1921 census
« Reply #297 on: Thursday 13 January 22 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Well I can find most of the ones I want except my gt grandfather Richard Bond Cocks.

Have you considered the one in this household? The ages of Richard and Mary are off slightly but I wonder if they were trying to close the gap (the marriage record has a 14 year difference).

Altrincham, Bucklow, Cheshire

Ebenezer Warburton; born c1890, Cadishead, Lancashire
Emma Ann Warburton; born c1889, Irlam, Lancashire
Andrew Warburton; born c1914, Broadheath, Cheshire
Meiviam Warburton; born c1919, Broadheath, Cheshire
Richard Cocks; born c1858, Denton, Lancashire
Mary Cocks; born c1866, Londonderry, Ireland

All info from free searches.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: Thursday 13 January 22 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Well I can find most of the ones I want except my gt grandfather Richard Bond Cocks.

Have you considered the one in this household? The ages of Richard and Mary are off slightly but I wonder if they were trying to close the gap (the marriage record has a 14 year difference).

Altrincham, Bucklow, Cheshire

Ebenezer Warburton; born c1890, Cadishead, Lancashire
Emma Ann Warburton; born c1889, Irlam, Lancashire
Andrew Warburton; born c1914, Broadheath, Cheshire
Meiviam Warburton; born c1919, Broadheath, Cheshire
Richard Cocks; born c1858, Denton, Lancashire
Mary Cocks; born c1866, Londonderry, Ireland

All info from free searches.

Hmm will look into in, I have a Richard Bond in Southport, but the Mary there seems the wrong age
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline collin

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: Sunday 16 January 22 00:15 GMT (UK) »
 I think the 1921 census gives a false picture because I know my great grandparents always had lodgers to help with the rent upto the 1930s but they don't appear on the form, they will have their own form as a separate household. I realised this because my other great grandparents were in lodgings but are on a form to themselves described as boarders. On previous census they seemed to list everybody in the house on one form.
Collin Oldham Lancs   Rogers Dudley  Abbott  Ripley Derbys    Hartley Outwood Yorks

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #300 on: Sunday 16 January 22 07:07 GMT (UK) »
If you read the instructions  o enumerators it appears tha boarders should be on the same form. My boarders are shown on same page
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: Sunday 16 January 22 10:08 GMT (UK) »
The latest issue of WDYTYA magazine has an article about the census, part of which says that many family historians will find their ancestors were not at home on census day but in a hotel or guest house due to it being carried out in the summer.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: Sunday 16 January 22 11:51 GMT (UK) »
The latest issue of WDYTYA magazine has an article about the census, part of which says that many family historians will find their ancestors were not at home on census day but in a hotel or guest house due to it being carried out in the summer.

I wonder how many were missed because of that, especially if they were camping or self catering?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: Sunday 16 January 22 13:08 GMT (UK) »

I wonder how many were missed because of that, especially if they were camping or self catering?

It would be interesting to find out how many people went camping  or self catered in 1921 and their social distribution.

Add - I did find some of my mother in law's family visiting relatives.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: Sunday 16 January 22 13:21 GMT (UK) »
I've found this on Wiki about  holiday camps:

Opened in 1906 by John Fletcher Dodd, Caister Camp in Caister-on-Sea, Norfolk was one of the first permanent camps under canvas (tents), initially catering for men only, it would later open up to families and advertise itself as "The Oldest Established Camp".[3] By the early 1920s, Caister Camp and others around the country were beginning to include hut-based accommodation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_camp
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: Sunday 16 January 22 14:58 GMT (UK) »

It would be interesting to find out how many people went camping  or self catered in 1921 and their social distribution.

A photo taken by my Grandfather in 1921 "Camping at Grassington. 1921"

It features his future wife (centre), his sister & her husband, a brother and a friend

In the 1921 census , my Grandfather was an unemployed art student, my grandmother worked in a solicitor's office.
Whilst not dirt-poor, the families were by no means well-off
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all