Author Topic: Attempting to work out biological father of ancestor  (Read 499 times)

Offline brjhh2001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to work out biological father of ancestor
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Alma - Battle of the Alma,  Crimea War.   Some of my favourite 19th Century ancestors have Alma in their given names. 

JM

Fascinating stuff - this battle occurred just over a month after Arthur was born, so I'd say it was inserted after the fact.

Re marriage to Devson - I've done a check on Ancestry and this is indeed Sarah's mother. I suppose whoever ran the family tree that had them both dying in November 1865 may have gotten confused or accidentally clicked the wrong thing when adding a record to John's profile, Ancestry can be a bit finnicky like that. Well with her alive and with a hubby #2 it's totally possible Sarah stayed with them until at very latest a few months prior to John's conception in November 1871, by which time she must have been in and around Colombo/Kameruka/Tarraganda/Corridgeree area in order to have interacted with the Wren family. Eden is not particularly far away though.

Re Erasmus Wren - that makes sense, I forgot about him. He was H. Wren's brother. I believe William Weld Wren later married one of his daughters.

One thing I did notice as I was searching - after looking at a photo of Arthur Alma Wren, I can certainly see a degree of resemblance to one of John William's sons, whose middle name was, interestingly, Arthur. John's half brother (Sarah's son with John Everett) was Arthur William Everett, but that side of things is odd as well since Sarah's two sons with John Everett were named Henry and Arthur (ie, think Henry & Henry Erasmus Wren and Arthur Alma Wren, all of whom she was clearly very well aware of and connected to.) I can't make hide nor hair of any of this to be honest!

Re Erasmus Darwin - interesting! I am of course familiar with Charles Darwin but was not aware that there were other noteworthy family members. I'll have to read more into it  ;D

Offline brjhh2001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to work out biological father of ancestor
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 05 January 22 11:31 GMT (UK) »
On the Algernon name - apparently it means "man with a mustache" or something along those lines and was originally used as a nickname for William de Percy, who accompanied William the Conqueror in 1066. I can't seem to find any Wrens or Dawsons with that name further back in the tree so I assume it's original.
Well, whichever Wren son woo'd Sarah must have done it with their quirky name!  ;D